onkyo 5509/5508 or arcam 888

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hello people,i am looking to upgrade to a prepro plus amp combo from nad 773 avreceiver.i have short listed the above two prepros with arcam777 or nad m25 amp.has anybody compared the two for movies and music.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO The Arcam pair is unbeatable for music and movies at under £16k (where the Anthem Statement D2V/P5 challenges). Can you demo. The 777/888 put some fairly high end 2 channel amps to shame.

There has been glitches with the Arcam, but imo they've mostly been solved. FWIW The AVR600 gets quite close to the 777/888 for half the money....check it out for yourself. :)

A

Anonymous

Hi rajdeep,
I've just bought the P777 to add to my system ,at the mo she is running through my pioneer av amp until I save up for the Av 888 but its the best move I have ever made buying the arcam the diffrence it had made is crazy , and so far is totaly stunning with all movies and music, brings a huge smile to my face :) every time I turn my system on , only down side is it was to big for my rack and have to get a new one now , good for me but the missis was not very happy but I can live with that >)
Also the arcam gives off a bit off heat and needs a little bit of room to breath ,only thing I know about the onkyo amp is that they run very warm indeed .
From bamz

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Bamz said:
Hi rajdeep, I've just bought the P777 to add to my system ,at the mo she is running through my pioneer av amp until I save up for the Av 888 but its the best move I have ever made buying the arcam the diffrence it had made is crazy , and so far is totaly stunning with all movies and music, brings a huge smile to my face :) every time I turn my system on.

The P777 really is a "tour de force" and would work nicely with the Platinum range. I would say it revolutionized your 2 channel, especially the bass. Glad you're enjoying it.

clinton333

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi... I have not had any experience with the Onkyo's mentioned...however I have recently upgraded from a Rotel ssp and power amp to the Arcam Av888 and P777 and I am blown away! Whilst the Rotels were very good... the Arcam pairing is in a different league (as you'd hope at a lot more expense). I have had no usability issues with the Arcam equipment and with a dual Hdmi blu ray player you are set for 3D (or you could go for the upgraded board)...

The AV888 and P777 are great with both movies and music and have made me realise how well my B&W XT8's can be with 2 channel stereo... They have put a halt ....temporarily... to my search for different speakers....

Just like to say thank you to CNOEvil for the impartial advice on demoing the Arcam equipment...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
clinton333 said:
Just like to say thank you to CNOEvil for the impartial advice on demoing the Arcam equipment...

It's very kind of you to say so....glad it's worked out.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Cno

A

Anonymous

anybody compared the onkyo with arcam.i am afraid its not possible for me to demo the two together.onkyo boasts the best audyssey room correction whereas arcam boasts superior sound with no room correction.it is said that the room is the biggest factor affecting sound quality for stereo or multi channel.

CnoEvil said:
IMO The Arcam pair is unbeatable for music and movies at under £16k (where the Anthem Statement D2V/P5 challenges). Can you demo. The 777/888 put some fairly high end 2 channel amps to shame. There has been glitches with the Arcam, but imo they've mostly been solved. FWIW The AVR600 gets quite close to the 777/888 for half the money....check it out for yourself. :)

Hi CnE

I am going to differ with you on this one because up to £16k you can also have a combination of Onkyo's PR-SC5509/Plinius Odean or a PR-SC5508/Chord Electronics SPM3005. Both the Onkyo/Plinius and the Onkyo/Chord Electronics reproduce music and movie soundtracks to a higher level then the AV888/P777 do. Best of all the Onkyo/Plinius and Onkyo/Chord Electronics work without issue.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi CnE

I am going to differ with you on this one because up to £16k you can also have a combination of Onkyo's PR-SC5509/Plinius Odean or a PR-SC5508/Chord Electronics SPM3005. Both the Onkyo/Plinius and the Onkyo/Chord Electronics reproduce music and movie soundtracks to a higher level then the AV888/P777 do. Best of all the Onkyo/Plinius and Onkyo/Chord Electronics work without issue.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

That's fine by me.

Our views differ on a lot of things, and that's as it should be.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
For that sort of money, the Bryston SP3/9Bsst2 really can't be ignored. Bryston's reputation for amplification needs to explanation, and you've only got to check out forums for initial feedback on the SP3 processor, which bryston hail as being as good as their £5k BP26 pre-amplifier for 2-channel quality. In fact, two users reckon it actually has the edge...

Two reasons why the Bryston is so good with 2-channel music is that it does away with any video processing and room EQ - two areas that have a major effect on audio quality. We had this combination running at our open evening last November with the PMC Twenty.24's front and rear, and I have to admit that it's the best thing I've ever heard, and I've heard some corkers in my time. I was very dubious about how good it could be without room EQ, especially as our room isn't great, but the system just sounded so good that it wasn't an issue. I liken it to listening to a movie soundtrack for the very first time. Visually understated, but more than makes up in audio quality.

For me, the bargain below the SP3 would be the Onkyo 5509. It does boast one of the best room EQ's out there, and the possibility of extending that with the addition of the Pro Kit. Used with a Bryston 9Bsst2, and it's good enough to be, you've got a cracking 5.1 system for less than £10k.

One of the other systems that's worth mentioning is the Denon AVP-A1HDA/POA-A1HD combo. Stunningly effortless and so listenable. It looks like it performs too.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
There's nothing like a controversial statement to winkle out some interesting options. :shifty:
For me, there is a rightness and musicality to the sound of the Arcams, that (for my preference) I haven't heard bettered.....though to be fair, I haven't heard all possible alternatives at that price.

@ Rajdeep
The Arcam does have room EQ, though not as sophisticated as the Onkyo

@ David
The Byston combo should be very impressive but at £18k (5 channel one), it is twice the price of the Arcam. I have always respected Bryston, but find it leaves me a little cold....but should be on a short list (9Bsst2) if paired with the Onkyo (to keep in budget).

@ Rick
Sound at this level is so subjective....I really don't get on with the "Chord sound" which I find unpleasant.

Onkyo/Plinius would certainly be an interesting combo, but whether it's better may be subjective.

Arcam's reliability issues are well known, and already mentioned on this thread (and every other one). You don't sell Arcam, so I feel your comments are inappropriate.....your suggestions should stand on their own merit (which they do). :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
@ David The Byston combo should be very impressive but at £18k (5 channel one), it is twice the price of the Arcam. I have always respected Bryston, but find it leaves me a little cold....but should be on a short list (9Bsst2) if paired with the Onkyo (to keep in budget).

With the Bryston being so neutral and powerful (more so than anything else I've heard), it's usually the case that you're really listening to the speakers themselves, which I suppose for most people is usually PMC as they only ever hear them at shows. The i-series isn't to everyone's tastes, although the same can be said for any speaker really, so what the Bryston will sound like will really hang on the speaker choice and the room it's being used in. Personally, I feel they work perfectly with KEF Reference, but some might find that combination a little too revealing and neutral. I love it :grin:

I'm not particularly a fan of Chord either Cno (sound or looks). But hey, that's why we have choice :)

CnoEvil said:
@ Rick Sound at this level is so subjective....I really don't get on with the "Chord sound" which I find unpleasant. Onkyo/Plinius would certainly be an interesting combo, but whether it's better may be subjective. Arcam's reliability issues are well known, and already mentioned on this thread (and every other one). You don't sell Arcam, so I feel your comments are inappropriate.....your suggestions should stand on their own merit (which they do). :)

Hi CnE

Even though Arcam's reliability issues are well known however it was you who chose to highlight Arcam's issues in this thread. 'at this level' with their premium prices and considering when these Arcam AV products were released these issues should have been nipped in the bud a long time ago. There are AV products at a fraction of the price which don't suffer from mood swings.

Btw, even as an Arcam dealer i chose not to support some of their products partly because of their reliability/glitches.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
For slighlty less than the Arcam and (IMO) better looks and sound and better reliability, consider the Primare combo, SP32 and A30.5 :)

Classy alternative, which now has the HD Audio upgrade. The SP32 has had a lot of firmware updates to bring it up to date, but I believe it's not been bug free either (though not as problematic).

It's better looking than the Arcam (I give you that), and sound wise it may be down to personal preference....but it's one of the few brands that would make it through my door. :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:
For slighlty less than the Arcam and (IMO) better looks and sound and better reliability, consider the Primare combo, SP32 and A30.5 :)

Classy alternative, which now has the HD Audio upgrade. The SP32 has had a lot of firmware updates to bring it up to date, but I believe it's not been bug free either (though not as problematic). It's better looking than the Arcam (I give you that), and sound wise it may be down to personal preference....but it's one of the few brands that would make it through my door. :)

As you say, not as problematic, but any problems will also get less of an airing because they're a less mainstream brand in the UK / Ireland. I've not really read up on it either way recently. Surprised you gave me the better looking! I do also like the look of these Arcam units. It is also future-proof (I think like the Arcam?) due to the ability to fit replacement boards in the future. I agree, at this price level it is likely to be personal preference, but with so much money on the table definitely worth an audition of both if possible.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi CnE

Even though Arcam's reliability issues are well known however it was you who chose to highlight Arcam's issues in this thread. 'at this level' with their premium prices and considering when these Arcam AV products were released these issues should have been nipped in the bud a long time ago. There are AV products at a fraction of the price which don't suffer from mood swings.

Btw, even as an Arcam dealer i chose not to support some of their products partly because of their reliability/glitches.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Arcam should have sorted out their problems quicker than they have (I know)....but that is not my point. I have no wish to enter an argument about the ethics of selling, so I gracefully bow out.

All the best

Cno

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
As for ethics, on the forum I'd say they're rather superseded by house rules, ie if it doesn't break the rules it's allowed.

Fwiw I don't see it being unethical for anyone to post re comparative reliability, whether in the trade or not.

CnoEvil said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi CnE

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Arcam should have sorted out their problems quicker than they have (I know)....but that is not my point. I have no wish to enter an argument about the ethics of selling, so I gracefully bow out. All the best Cno

Hi CnE

Yet again it was you who chose to highlight the point aout selling.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
CnoEvil said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi CnE

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Arcam should have sorted out their problems quicker than they have (I know)....but that is not my point. I have no wish to enter an argument about the ethics of selling, so I gracefully bow out. All the best Cno

Hi CnE

Yet again it was you who chose to highlight the point about selling.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi CnoEvil Yes mate since I have introduced the P777 in to the mix ,its like I'm listening to a totaly different system , in 2 channel mode with music its a HUGE step up and I would say the same in 5.1 with movies to , don't get me wrong it was good before but nothing like it is with the Arcam P777 powering the Platnums I would never go back or be with out the Arcam ever again :) All the best from bamz

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts