Onkyo 1009, 3009 and 5009 against LX75, LX85 and A3010

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

The high end Onkyos don't seem to get as much coverage as the other amps. Does anyone have any experience with the Onkyos? How do they compare to similarly priced Pioneers and Yamahas? Does the 3009 better the LX75? Does the 5009 better the LX85? Or are they just *different*?

I'd love to hear your opinions.

*I'm hoping to partner with the Dynaudio Contour range.

Thanks,

Luke

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Onkyo 3009 will have an advantage over the competition due to it's Audyssey XT32 room EQ.

If you have Dynaudio Contour, I would recommend getting the best you can, as they're a 4ohm load and will need a lot of bass control. I would be recommending the 5009, but for slightly more you'll have the option of going pre/power, with the Onkyo 5509 pre/processor and something like a Rotel RMB1565, which will give you 200wpc into 5 channels. There's also the option of going for the 1575, which will give you 500wpc into 5 channels.

KiwiMoto

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Which of these would best suit B&W M1/PM 1's/dual PV 1's in a room that's a little sparse measuring approx 4m x 5.5m?
I'm currently using a Marantz SR7005 with MM7025 power amp (2x140w),but thinking the wow factor is a little lacking when watching movies.

KiwiMoto

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
It sounds...well,polite and very nice. I also have a Marantz 5006 matched to the recently obsoleted Kef Q series speakers and the little Kube sub.It is all boom,bang,crash,thud by comparison!Rubbish for music but it 'just does it' for watching action BD's! So why is my 'good' system lacking against my 'put together purely on a budget' second system?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Have you checked to make sure you haven't got any 'Dynamic this' or 'Progressive that' switched on? I personally don't get on with all these volume dependent features which artificially mess about with the signal. Might be worth checking, as what you have shouldn't sound dull at all, nor lacking! Could be a setup issue...

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
On my Denon avr, I always turned off most bells and whistles too. I just left the audyssey processing on, but turned dynamic EQ and Dynamic volume off.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
KiwiMoto said:
Which of these would best suit B&W M1/PM 1's/dual PV 1's in a room that's a little sparse measuring approx 4m x 5.5m? I'm currently using a Marantz SR7005 with MM7025 power amp (2x140w),but thinking the wow factor is a little lacking when watching movies.

This does indeed seem strange. In fairness the Marantz is considered relatively 'smooth' but ought to match nicely with the B&Ws. I'm also not a huge fan of the sub, but in a way that I would expect extra 'excitement' rather than too little.

Room acoustics would be my other suggestion, but you say it's fairly sparsely furnished, which ought to make it more 'lively'. It's possible you have a bass suck out, but the EQ ought to balance this out.

KiwiMoto

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Im using TWO PV1's (!) with the SR7005 but the little Kube 1 in my other theater is more lively and enjoyable.A demo Onk 3009 has become avail,which is why i took interest in this post as i was also thinking LX85 as another possibility.But then im thinking surely the SR7005 should be doing the job?

BTW,what is a bass suck out?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts