Onk 875 for Music

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all how is everyone?

I've been using my 'Onkyo 875' with a Marantz cd5400 (i think it is) for a few weeks now and all in all it's pretty good. Question I want to ask is...'Does anyone else use the '875' for music and if so, what cd player do they use with it and what would you recommend as an upgrade for myself?
Many thanks ppl. :)

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
...Like a lot of people I don't have the space for a separate stereo HIFI system so my 875 is at the heart of everything ...so actually I use it more often for music than DVD's or Sky (I do have a fully featured 5.1 separates set up)

As has been mentioned before on these forums I think the 875 handles music very well ..it can be bettered ..I used to have Musical Fidelity pre-power amp which bettered it but at a price and with no AV option ...I even utilise the phono input to play my beloved vinyl and it sounds fine.
The 875's bass response is especially good and it has power to spare ( eventually I will get round to utilising the 875's bi-amp function which should be interesting!)

I use a elderly mint condition Marantz 85 SE CD player (about 20 years old)I'm onto my second player because I love the sound of it (smoother and more "analogue" than more recent players to my ears) but as for newer players you best bet is to ask around on the HIFI forum ...mebbe's an Arcam would suit?

A

Anonymous

listened to a rega apollo through an 805 today. Im imagining the 875 is better all round. This amp sounded pretty sweet with the player, especially with the rega r5 speakers (dance stuff sounded very nice indeed).

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Paul,
Glad to hear your 875 is going well. Funnily enough, I use an elderly mint condition Marantz CD63 mk II KI Signature (bought it from new, but only 13-14 years old I think!) - sounds fantastic with my 905. Not sure how this would compare to a modern Marantz though...

A

Anonymous

I will be using my 875 for music once my CD player arrives from Superfi (Arcam 73). I will be bi-amping the front speakers, following suggestions from a few learned people on this site. Used this as an opportunity to bi-wire the centre speaker as well. Will let you know how good this sounds once I have everything properly set up...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all your replies. I thought this would be a good one to post into the forum as I guessed I was not the only one using an '875' for music.
Jetjohnson- I too am using the phonostage in the 875 and it's not bad but I have to say is some way off my old nad pp2 running in seperate.
Yeh Professor I reckon my newer Marantz is similar in sound and I have a feeling that is not the problem anymore and it is more to do with my Mordaunt Short Avants which are good speakers don't get me wrong but...I Know that the '875' is capable of powering much bigger and better, as it where, speakers. I think I may have hot myself in the foot a bit by buying the 875 cos now I want better speakers, lol.
But it would still be good to hear about how an arcam cd player would go too, Thanks keep me posted.

A

Anonymous

Oh, by the way... It would be great to know what analogue interconnects are you guys using?
I am using cambridge audio pacific's. cheers

A

Anonymous

Heard the Chords are good. I was thinking about some Atlas one's to tame the sound a bit and make it more neutral as my speakers tweeters do need much encouragement to start kicking off. Any ideas?
Thanks

A

Anonymous

Sorry that was meant...DO NOT need much encouragement. Especially If I want to listen in surround there are 8 of the bu**ers! Bit of a put off, lol.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts