one question i really want answering from as many as possible

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

found the info: (taken off a good website) ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very precise speaker placement can open up a whole new dimension in listening, so I will outline the system that is becoming the standard of the industry. This standardized listening room is a Golden Cuboid and is the model for the math used in this system. This method will work with any box speaker, in any reasonably sized rectangular room. You may find that you have already positioned your speakers this way by ear.
Active nodes are the main concern when placing speakers in a rectangular room. A node, or the frequency where speakers and parallel walls interact, is proportional to the speaker to the wall distance.
The three most importance nodes, in order of importance, are proportional to the distance between the speaker and:
1. The side wall nearest the speaker
2. The rear wall
3. The side wall across from the speaker
A secondary factor is the speaker-to-speaker time constant.
When you use this Golden Ratio method to set your room up, the speakers are placed so the three nodes progress or differ from one another in Golden Ratio. This eliminates any unison or near unison resonance in the nodes.
Panel or dipole speakers such as Apogees and Magnepans cancel their side waves, so a formula of .618 x the ceiling height can be used for determining placement from the rear wall. Most box speakers radiate low frequencies in all directions thus a formula that places the speaker to rear wall distance at 1.618 the side wall distance should be used.
Speaker placement, simply stated
The distance from the center of the woofer face to the side walls is:
Room Width times .276 (RW x .276)
The distance from the center of the woofer face to the wall behind the speaker is:
Room Width times .447 (RW x .447)
This is all you need to know to place speakers in a symmetrical, rectangular room!

diagrama.jpg

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
dim_span:
do not know your room setup, however 6 inches from the back wall is too close

a rough guideline which has worked well for me and my mates:(if you have the space)

measure the room width

speakers should be placed 0,447 x room width away from the back wall (back wall to front of cabinets)

and 0,276 x room width away from the side walls (side walls to centre of speaker cabinet)

once you have them set up with these dimensions, you can toe them in-out till you get the 'sweet spot'

Sounds like a bit of a generalisation to me. Surely the best position for your speakers is where they sound best?

For what it's worth mine are closer to the walls than science suggests but that's where they sound best to me, and I have floorstanders in a relatively small room. They are only slightly toed-in too as that's how they sound best.

I get a very good soundstage as they are.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:dim_span:

do not know your room setup, however 6 inches from the back wall is too close

a rough guideline which has worked well for me and my mates:(if you have the space)

measure the room width

speakers should be placed 0,447 x room width away from the back wall (back wall to front of cabinets)

and 0,276 x room width away from the side walls (side walls to centre of speaker cabinet)

once you have them set up with these dimensions, you can toe them in-out till you get the 'sweet spot'

Sounds like a bit of a generalisation to me. Surely the best position for your speakers is where they sound best?

you are correct ... if they sound better (to you) when placed right against (or closer to the wall), then keep them there ... if you don't have the space, then obviously this formula cannot be used

I have set up several systems for my son's college mates, and have used this formula as a starting point ... always works for me ... my system is set up this way but I am fortunate as my listening room is large ... I have a huge soundstage and am well pleased with my system

so when people complain about their speakers, I always recommend that they try this formula (even if it is only temporarily), and if there is an improvement, then we know the speakers are fine for the system ...

if the speakers are fine and if they dont have the space to position them this way, , then there are other alternatives such as buying speakers that can be placed close to walls, and this is a quick way to determine the problem

T

the record spot

Also for ref: Stereophile's J. Gordon Holt and Quad's Peter Walker's "Rule of Thirds" will also help and some of the above diagrams relate to this by the looks of things.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts