One piece to upgrade in my system

Mr.Crow

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello, hope you can help.

I have a very basic/beginner setup for my home cinema kit. It currently comprises of:
Sony bdp s6200; Yamaha rx475; Q accoustics 2000i; Sony 55x8601I have perhaps £300 (maybe 4) to play with and am thinking the blu-ray would be the weakest bit of the bundle; would you concur? If so, what player would be worth looking into?Of course, if you think it may be worth outing one of the other pieces of kit, advice in the that area woujld also be most welcome!Many thanks. PS apologies for the formatting - the post doesn't seem to like a bulleted list *scratch_one-s_head* and carriage returns aren't working either.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hello mr.crow.

All of your components are evenly priced. And well regarded at their respective price. So I don't immediately see a weak link there. In my humble opinion, the money would be better spent adding something to your setup, than replacing what you already have. However, if you must change something, then I would suggest point 3 below. So my thoughts would be as under mentioned:

1. If your TV is 4k. Add a roku ultra. There is more streaming 4k content, than that available on a disc. I would certainly wait a bit, till more content is available, before plonking for a UHD player.

2) If the rest of your family are finding it difficult to use your system, adding a universal remote like the logitech home control will be really nice.

3) whatever you decide, Please don't tinker with the speakers. Having 5 identical speakers is wonderful for a uniform sound stage for movies. And thus the only thing I would consider replacing, if I must, is the Yamaha receiver. My previous well regarded, Sony av receiver didn't have audessey. Subsequently, after moving to a marantz with audessey, my exact same setup sounds a lot better. It is in a completely different league now both for music and movies. And even iam using a sub sat package. So if you can home demo the denon X3300 with a option of returning it if you don't like, that would be a nice step to take. You can see if it betters the sound enough to justify the change.

All the best...

Mr.Crow

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks for the replies.

The reason for the post was that my BD player has exhibited a couple of glitches. There had been instances where a disc would not load (blu ray) and also a couple of times where the lock up was so total, only powering off from the wall would enable the disc to be jected (dvd, at an episode selection menu). Could this be down to it neading a firmware update? I'm not sure but I wouldn't like such an update mess anything else up,

The question was also a wider one in that would anyone consider upgrading any other part to the system and thanks for the feedback there also - interesting to hear about the receiver!

Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts