One-make systems reviez: confused

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I am a bit confused about the Marantz PM6004/CD6004 Boston A26 (£880) review. In this test Marantz/Boston combination gets a 4 stars review while in the previous whf streamers supertest the Marantz M-CR603/ Boston A26 (£750) gets a 5 stars review. Does this mean that the streamer setup sounds better than the separates setup or does it mean that the streamer setup is a better match for the Boston A26?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I haven't heard the new Marantz seperates but you can't compare like-for-like.

The M-CR603 offers amp, CD player, FM + DAB tuners, optical DAC connection, direct USB connection (also optimised for iPod/iPhone), AirPlay, Internet radio, streaming and costs £450. (And sounds great.)

It gets five stars (and it's award) in the context of other £400+ all-in-one systems and not against seperates.

You will have to listen to both options and decide what offers the best sound and value to you and what best suits your needs.

manicm

Yes, I've read the review as well. I think the 6004 system would have got 5 stars had a more suitable speaker been chosen. IMO WHF should exclude speakers from one-make tests and use their own discretion, even considering the manufacturer's recommendation.

A good example is the Cyrus test - it was a surprise that they recommended not their stable Vienna Acoustics speakers but the KEF Q300s, and indeed it got the full 5.

Clare et al, please consider making your own ultimate choice of speakers for one-make tests.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The test team does always note alternative speakers where required, but the point of asking manufacturers for their recommendations is that they are likely to be systems often packaged together at retail - in other words they are systems a dealer may be able to demo in its entirety.

But all feedback welcome!

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
manicm said:
Yes, I've read the review as well. I think the 6004 system would have got 5 stars had a more suitable speaker been chosen.

I agree, but i thought the Marantz M-CR603 had a very similar sound as the 6004 combo. That is why i expected the 6004 combo to sound good with the Boston speakers just like the Marantz M-CR603 did according to the review.

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have not read this month's issue yet, but you must remember that the stars rating is also decided by price, features, ease of use, etc. Is it more expensive than the other system?

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
def lugs said:
I have not read this month's issue yet, but you must remember that the stars rating is also decided by price, features, ease of use, etc. Is it more expensive than the other system?

The 6004 combo is a bit more expensive than the streamer setup. But wat confused me is that according to the review, the Boston A26 is not an ideal match for the 6004 combo while the streamer/A26 seems to combine very well. I thought both Marantz setups sounded very similar. For me the conclusion is that the Marantz setups have a different sonic signature.

manicm

ErwinC said:
manicm said:
Yes, I've read the review as well. I think the 6004 system would have got 5 stars had a more suitable speaker been chosen.

I agree, but i thought the Marantz M-CR603 had a very similar sound as the 6004 combo. That is why i expected the 6004 combo to sound good with the Boston speakers just like the Marantz M-CR603 did according to the review.

I don't think so, it would appear the CR603 has an immediately more vibrant/brighter sound than the seperates, much like Arcam's Solo Mini.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
manicm said:
I don't think so, it would appear the CR603 has an immediately more vibrant/brighter sound than the seperates, much like Arcam's Solo Mini.

Ah ok, that explains it.

Good to know, thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts