One Hundred and Counting...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
My DVDs aren't taking up too much space at the moment though as they're all in CD wallets and up out of the way. I'd love to do it with my Blurays, but there's no chance of that as it would cost me a fortune in hard drives!

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm using anyDVD and makemkv to rip them and Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra to play them back on an i5 HTPC with a 120 gig SSD for software, 32 gigs of RAM and an EVGA GeForce gtx950 Gaming 4k graphics card with 2 gigs of DDR5 RAM. Everything sits inside a Silverstone Grandia case. I prefer the low profiel Milo cases, but I needed this bigger one for the full height graphics card and a liquid CPU cooler. My other two HTPCs have ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2GB DDR3 cards in them, so I can use the lower profile cases (no liquid cooling though). And yes, I build HTPCs myself (and possibly to order if anyone's interested....)

I think I get 7.1 sound and 60 fps 4K playback out of the graphics card, but I would have to check on that though when I get home.

mkv files are, apparently and so I believe, kind of like FLAC files only for video. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

All through an EXPENSIVE (yah boo to ye naysayers) Audioquest Chocolate HDMI cable to my new Marantz 2010 receiver.

Most Blu-Rays rip just fine, although with older versions of the software I did come across some "stubborn" ones. I'm working through the collection again, right now though with the latest software versions, so fingers crossed.

I'm using a Mediasonic ProRAID RAID10 enclosure ($150 or so on Amazon) with 4 x Western Digital Green 3 terabyte hard discs ($100 each), giving 6 terabytes of storage space. Each DVD is taking up about 5 gigabytes, so 6 terabytes gives me storage for about 1200 films!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
I'm using anyDVD and makemkv to rip them and Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra to play them back on an i5 HTPC with a 120 gig SSD for software, 32 gigs of RAM and an EVGA GeForce gtx950 Gaming 4k graphics card with 2 gigs of DDR5 RAM.  Everything sits inside a Silverstone Grandia case.  I prefer the low profiel Milo cases, but I needed this bigger one for the full height graphics card and a liquid CPU cooler.  My other two HTPCs have ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2GB DDR3 cards in them, so I can use the lower profile cases (no liquid cooling though).  And yes, I build HTPCs myself (and possibly to order if anyone's interested....)

I think I get 7.1 sound and 60 fps 4K playback out of the graphics card, but I would have to check on that though when I get home.

mkv files are, apparently and so I believe, kind of like FLAC files only for video.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

All through an EXPENSIVE (yah boo to ye naysayers) Audioquest Chocolate HDMI cable to my new Marantz 2010 receiver.

Most Blu-Rays rip just fine, although with older versions of the software I did come across some "stubborn" ones. I'm working through the collection again, right now though with the latest software versions, so fingers crossed.

I'm using a Mediasonic ProRAID RAID10 enclosure ($150 or so on Amazon) with 4 x Western Digital Green 3 terabyte hard discs ($100 each), giving 6 terabytes of storage space.  Each DVD is taking up about 5 gigabytes, so 6 terabytes gives me storage for about 1200 films!
Am also in the thought process of having my Blu-rays ripped. I did get round to rip them sometime in the past, but found out it was taking far to long. How long does it usually take to rip a Blu-ray movie.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
MKV files are, apparently and so I believe, kind of like FLAC files only for video. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Pass! Your equipment list is over my head...

Say it loud, say it proud! My take on it is that if you have a good system (or great system), having cables you trust means that you don't need to think/worry that they're possibly letting you down - the cable aspect is covered, and 100% not an issue. You KNOW you're getting the best that you can possibly get from your equipment. I have a Coffee on my Roku 3 and Sky box, and use a Diamond from my Oppo. My system sounds amazing, and I can sit back and relax to it knowing it isn't being held back in any way, and WILL be investing in a decent USB cable to go from my Innuos Zenith directly into the Classe SSP. Regardless.

[/quote]I'm using a Mediasonic ProRAID RAID10 enclosure ($150 or so on Amazon) with 4 x Western Digital Green 3 terabyte hard discs ($100 each), giving 6 terabytes of storage space. Each DVD is taking up about 5 gigabytes, so 6 terabytes gives me storage for about 1200 films!

[/quote]I have about 600 DVDs, although I wouldn't necessarily rip all of those, so maybe about 500. I'd have to weight up the cost in comparison to the cost of the 16 or so CD wallets I'm using!

I daren't add up what I would need for about 1400 Blurays though - the two £80 shelves I've just bought where they now reside will have to do for quite some time!

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I've just done a quick estimate and I reckon I've got another 150 DVDs and 100 Blu-Rays to go.

Sadly I don't work in a hifi store and get the staff discounts, but there's plenty of pawn shops around here and they're a great source of cheap discs - Typically $2 for a DVD and $5 to $10 for a Blu-Ray, depending on how popular a title it is.

The good thing about the ProRAID boxes is that you can add more as you need them. They connect via USB cables, so as long I've got enough USB ports on the back of your PC (or can add a USB card into a spare expansion slot), I can keep adding storage almost indefinitely.

If / when the 6 terabytes of storage I have in the first one gets used up, I can simply add another. RAID-ing the discs means each disc is "striped and mirrored" (RAID10) so there's essentially a 100% self-correcting backup of each disc, plus, of course, I've always got the originals sitting in a cool dark cupboard under the stairs, so to speak. If you were prepared to risk loosing a load of movies if a single hard disc failed, I suppose you could re-rip all the missing DVDs / Blu-Rays and cut down on your storage cost, but let's face it, when a 3 terabyte hard disc costs the same as four full priced Blu-Rays, what's the point?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Plus 13 DVDs too badly scratched to rip. RIP for most of those, but some will be replaced - probably not Home Alone though. There are limits after all.

So far only one DVD couldn't be unlocked by AnyDVD directly, and even then the software lets you download a per movie patch.

One terabyte of disc space used, so that's an average of 5 gigabytes per DVD. So my capacity of 6 terabytes RAID'd storage should hold 1200 movies. If I said 12,000 before put it down to dementia. 1200 isn't bad though, enough for a rainy weekend or two, anyway.

About 50 or 60 DVDs to go. Plus any of the 50-odd for which I have the cases, but not the DVDs to go in them (love those little cherub stepsons of mine, yes, I really do,,,). They too (mostly) (the DVDs, not the stepsons) need replacing, unless I find I already have done so with Blu-Rays.

Then there's another 100 or so Blu-Rays, then the remaining 40-odd CDs....

daveh75

Benedict_Arnold said:
mkv files are, apparently and so I believe, kind of like FLAC files only for video. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope.

MKV isn't even a video format.

It's a (multi-media) container, with support for just about every type of audio, video and subtitle format going.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts