OMG - At last some retail therapy

Oxfordian

So for the first time in around 4 months I went shopping for something other than food, and for the first time in about 25 years I bought vinyl.

A trip to Bluewater and a rummage through the CD and LP racks at HMV was bliss, Mrs Oxfordian was happy getting her therapy fix elsewhere in the centre so I could browse to my hearts delight. I have to be honest there was plenty of stock so it took a while to decide what to buy.

I have gone with CD’s primarily as I will probably listen to CD’s more long term and plan to revamp my CD source in due course, with CD’s costing around £5 -£7 it’s not a huge outlay if one of the discs isn’t to your taste.

My choice of music today was a bit eclectic but a hopefully worth it as it widens my music base, artists included were; Dire Straits, Tracy Chapman, Dave Brubeck and Miles Davis, Sade and Roy Orbison, Derek and his Dominoes plus BB King.

With vinyl being a tad more expensive I was a bit more selective and just picked up a couple; Gregory Porter’s Liquid Spirit and Eric Clapton’s Slowhand but they will have to wait as my Rega Planar 3 is still awaiting its new motor.

After so many years of hardly ever going into a music shop today was a walk down memory lane and very very enjoyable, I can see me spending a few hours in HMV or equivalent in the weeks and months ahead.

Roll on this evening, now what is first up...

I fear our tastes don't overlap greatly, but glad you enjoyed it. I've got a shopping centre specific gift voucher hanging around since Christmas, though intend on spending it when Mrs 12th and I can have a couple of pints whilst we're there too - I'm not a big fan of shopping, but this combination is highly palatable!

Reactions: Oxfordian

Gray

That's the best thing about those bigger shopping centres, the HMVs have more choice.
The flagship Oxford Street store was always worth a visit, Tower Records too in London.
I've spent far too much time flicking through vinyl and CDs over several decades.
Where once CDs were the luxury purchase, now it's vinyl.

Oxfordian

That's the best thing about those bigger shopping centres, the HMVs have more choice.
The flagship Oxford Street store was always worth a visit, Tower Records too in London.
I've spent far too much time flicking through vinyl and CDs over several decades.
Where once CDs were the luxury purchase, now it's vinyl.

I have to admit that the price of vinyl was a bit of a surprise compared to a CD, not what I remember, guess that CD’s will be the main purchase going forward with vinyl far more selective.

Oxfordian

Yes, but the extra outlay is worth it, since they have much better durability *insert fart noise* :))

(not bashing, I play LPs every once in a while)

Haha, I will find out just how durable vinyl is once I get my Rega Planar back from the dealers, after 20 years in the loft and the mix of hot summers and freezing winters it will be interesting to see how 100 or so LP’s have faired.

insider9

So for the first time in around 4 months I went shopping for something other than food, and for the first time in about 25 years I bought vinyl.

A trip to Bluewater and a rummage through the CD and LP racks at HMV was bliss, Mrs Oxfordian was happy getting her therapy fix elsewhere in the centre so I could browse to my hearts delight. I have to be honest there was plenty of stock so it took a while to decide what to buy.

I have gone with CD’s primarily as I will probably listen to CD’s more long term and plan to revamp my CD source in due course, with CD’s costing around £5 -£7 it’s not a huge outlay if one of the discs isn’t to your taste.

My choice of music today was a bit eclectic but a hopefully worth it as it widens my music base, artists included were; Dire Straits, Tracy Chapman, Dave Brubeck and Miles Davis, Sade and Roy Orbison, Derek and his Dominoes plus BB King.

With vinyl being a tad more expensive I was a bit more selective and just picked up a couple; Gregory Porter’s Liquid Spirit and Eric Clapton’s Slowhand but they will have to wait as my Rega Planar 3 is still awaiting its new motor.

After so many years of hardly ever going into a music shop today was a walk down memory lane and very very enjoyable, I can see me spending a few hours in HMV or equivalent in the weeks and months ahead.

Roll on this evening, now what is first up...
Glad you've enjoyed it and I'm sure evening listening to tunes was ever better. Which album by Tracy Chapman did you get?

Oxfordian

Nice! It is a good album and probably the most well known. I don't know how well you know her catalogue but I'd say there are probably better albums than her debut. I'd highly encourage anyone to listen to more of her work. She's incredible!

I am definitely going to explore TC’s catalogue, I am confused as to why I don’t have her records in my collection because she is very good. Care to suggest the next album to pick?

Reactions: insider9

NorthEastVinyl

Dec 10, 2020
Visit site
I've been making great use of the local delivery service from my independent record shop for vinyl purchases during lockdown(s). Made a 'bridge' purchase this week from them by buying online but choosing click and collect so that I have to go in.....and will be able to have a browse. If I can also fit in a visit to a coffee shop and/or a pint, it will be the full extent of my preferred type of city centre shopping trip

insider9

I am definitely going to explore TC’s catalogue, I am confused as to why I don’t have her records in my collection because she is very good. Care to suggest the next album to pick?
Absolutely! I adore her. She's such an enchanting story teller. I'd actually suggest listening in chronological order. Her second album "Crossroads" is excellent.

But if you want to jump to what I think is her best go straight to her 4th LP "New Beginning". For those not sure what they're into here's my favourite track of hers. It is from that album. Song is titled "Smoke and Ashes"

View: https://youtu.be/piuhxXLAxxs

Oxfordian

Absolutely! I adore her. She's such an enchanting story teller. I'd actually suggest listening in chronological order. Her second album "Crossroads" is excellent.

But if you want to jump to what I think is her best go straight to her 4th LP "New Beginning". For those not sure what they're into here's my favourite track of hers. It is from that album. Song is titled "Smoke and Ashes"

Awesome, thank you. I have added both to my music shopping list hopefully one or the other will be in stock.

Reactions: insider9

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site

Typical. HMV dont show that as being in stock. Well, not available online anyway.
Trying to avoid Amazon after being coming a cropper with one of their 3rd party sellers.

TRENDING THREADS