Olive and Cyrus competition winners

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I enjoy taking an active part in the discussions here and frequent this forum quite often. Just to assure you I'm not here to 'troll' the web looking for free competitions I did actually miss this post until psurquhart notified me in another thread I started, so many thanks for that! :)

(I was also geniuinley looking for a music server as I currently have a bedroom setup using a computer, I'm moving house early next year intending to setup the hifi in the living room thus looking to replace the computer setup)

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Congrats to all - we'll be in touch soon re delivery of your prizes

I've noticed my email seems to occasionally filter correspondance from What Hi-Fi? I'd be very grateful if you would kindly make a quick note here once contact has been attempted.

Merry Christmas all!

jjbomber

Quite simply really. Competition winners have to agree to a magazine article at home with their new prize. No more new kit going straight on ebay. Actually I trawl ebay for a few weeks after the competition results are posted and have bought a few of the winners' items, so I guess I am contributing in a small way to the craze.

It would be nice to have competitions just for subscribers though. Naim have a competition only for people buying their high res download, so why not one for WHF subscribers.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jjbomber said:
It would be nice to have competitions just for subscribers though. Naim have a competition only for people buying their high res download, so why not one for WHF subscribers.

It's illegal apparently, if you have to pay it becomes a lottery with a bunch of other rules and regulations (and licences).

Just noticed the "Latest Competitions" page is blank, can't remember that happening before!

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Ah, thanks for the reply,

Andrew Everard said:
Congrats to all - we'll be in touch soon re delivery of your prizes

^ My mistake, thought you meant contact would be made by someone at What HiFi.

The competition was in October, is it worth trying to get in touch with someone or hold on for a bit longer?

Thanks!

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Henley Designs got in touch earlier this week and have now sent the Olive 3HD. It's about to replace the bulky/noisy computer hooked up to the hifi with all my music stored on it, much more lounge friendly!

Really neat bit of kit, thanks WHF!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I'm more conflicted if there is just one prize*. But if there are multiple prizes going to one winner, I think no one expects you to actually want all of them, so selling some is fair.

*Though I have on occasion managed to beat my conscience into a bloody, compliant pulp.

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Must admit, after nearly 5 months I'd started to loose faith but it's here and I have proof :grin: Yes I know units aren't meant to be stacked directly but its only temporary until house move in 10 days then will get everything set up in the lounge properly and escape the bedroom setup..

scaled.php

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
A few thoughts which no one is to rely on:

The skill element in competitions is used to avoid paid competitions (e.g. premium rate phone in crap) being deemed lotteries (which would get the promoters into very hot water). However, given that no payment is required to enter WHF competions (purchasing a magazine for the normal price doesn't count) I cannot see why the questions are necessary at all. Free prize draws could be used instead. Furthermore, I'm not aware of any law preventing prize draw or competition promoters from restricting entry, provided qualification is not by payment in the case of prize draws.

The UK only restriction serves a a purpose addtional to the one stated by Andrew above: It's a reasonably reliable way of ensuring that the gaming laws of another country cannot be applied with possibly unforeseen effects.

I would say that attracting the attention of these competition entering hobbyists / professionals is of no particular benefit to either WHF or the distributors / manufacturers. It might increase the traffic on the WHF website slightly, but I doubt it's commercially significant.

Yes, I know - I'm a really interesting bloke.

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
hi all

I guess some are soar losers :)

It happens in many communities that older members feel that they have more rights or must be the first to eat when the food is served. it is just a competition, like many others and as always the fortune is not for everyone.

I have followed the forum and WHF for a long time but I registered as a member just recently as I was in need for some technical advice. Forum and you dear members have been of

an immense help to me. Let the lucky ones enjoy their prizes. Our life wont get better if we will win some speakers. It wont solve any of our problems. I enetered the competition but I dont even think about it. I wont loose my sleep over it. Still have a life and friends :cheers:

Triggy

Jan 24, 2005
Visit site
Isn't it time this post was taken down as a "sticky" as the competition winners were announced over a year ago on Fri, Oct 28 2011, 8:45PM?

Just a thought!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts