Olive and Cyrus competition winners

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Winners have been drawn for a couple of our recent competitions.

Winners in our Olive O3HD competition were:
Peter3110
ginganinga
neilphilip
adam_clarke
Cpt.Issues

Winners in the Cyrus Streamline competition were:
joelgarthwaite
revad123
chrisbaume

Congrats to all - we'll be in touch soon re delivery of your prizes

A

Anonymous

Well done. Maybe one day for me!
smiley-cry.gif

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Not necessarily the case here, but I wonder how many such winners are 'serial competition addicts' who join to win expensive prizes they have no intention of keeping longer than the duration of a 7 or 10 day ebay listing?

There is a very famous magazine whose name I won't mention which concerns itself with the preservation and restoration of classic cars. A couple of years ago, they bought an old battered Rover P6 V8 and documented its nut-and-bolt rebuild over the period of about six months. It looked absolutely stunning. After the rebuild they gave it away in a competition. Utter chaos broke out on the magazine's forum when its winner, a 'competition-addict', had it auctioned on eBay within a week, confessing in their listing that to be honest they hated old cars, they had no intention of keeping it or even driving it, and they had only entered the competition because of the car's potential value.

Not a lot can be done about it though :/

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Didn't something similar happen here with a load of (IIRC) Naim kit a year or so ago? I think the guy said he sold it to keep his business afloat?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
pwiles1968 said:
Cant even see a single post on the forum for several of the names up there, hopefully the kit will encourage tham to contribute.

There's no requirement to post on the forum to enter a competition, only to be registered with the site; they're magazine/website competitions, not forum ones.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Andrew, while I agree that they're not a jolly for forumites, there are a large number of people who troll the web looking for easy competitions (and the questions you pose are generally on the easy end of the skill/chance continuum!). It's just a pity that so many people with no interest in Hi-Fi/AV products sign-up purely to try and win the prizes which manufacturers (presumably) donate to raise profile / awareness of their products among the people who do take an interest in Hi-Fi/AV products. If you were to limit it to magazine subscribers and those that have 2 or more (genuine) forum posts, you'd probably eliminate 85% of the opportunists...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Big Aura said:
Andrew, while I agree that they're not a jolly for forumites, there are a large number of people who troll the web looking for easy competitions (and the questions you pose are generally on the easy end of the skill/chance continuum!). It's just a pity that so many people with no interest in Hi-Fi/AV products sign-up purely to try and win the prizes which manufacturers (presumably) donate to raise profile / awareness of their products among the people who do take an interest in Hi-Fi/AV products. If you were to limit it to magazine subscribers and those that have 2 or more (genuine) forum posts, you'd probably eliminate 85% of the opportunists...

As we understand it, competitions law requires such contests be open to all, so it's impossible to introduce an element of qualification into the process.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
It's quite interesting. The Gambling Act regulates games of chance and lotteries. If the competition has an element of skill which is reasonably likely to deter a significant portion of entrants, it may fall outside the "game of chance" controls in the act. For example, if a question is too easy "Is the Pope a Catholic?" or if the answer is given near to the question "To win these Grado SR80 headphones answer the question below - "Do Grado make (a) headphones; (b) tupperware; (c) ballpoint pens; or (d) small children cry?" it fails the "deter a significant portion" test.

The next hurdle is a "payment to enter" one (if you have to pay, it may be a lottery, and so subject to the Gambling Act). Having the competition only open to subscribers would possibly fall foul of this. Open to subscribers (paid route to enter) and website members (free) will be okay, provided its no less convenient to enter, the competition is likely to come to the attention of all and the promoter doesn't discriminate in favour of paid entrants (subscribers) versus non paid.
It's possible that holding forum members to a higher standard (2 or more posts) will mean there's an element of discrimination, however that could be easily solved by applying the 2 post rule to subscribers also. Lurkers and shyness notwithstanding, if it increases the potential likelihood of winning severalfold, I'm sure most people would do it. FAOD, these are general musings and should not be considered to be legal advice - you should consult your own legal advisers before revising your competition terms. ;)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Big Aura said:
If you were to limit it to magazine subscribers and those that have 2 or more (genuine) forum posts, you'd probably eliminate 85% of the opportunists...

And 85% of the reason for the manufacturers to provide the prizes in the first place.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Silly me. I thought the forum was here for help, advice and banter rather than a qualifying tool for competitions. :)

They entered, they won. Good for them. They may subscribe and pay Haymarket every month rather than simply use this site for free (yes, I know many on here do that too)

I've entered the Award winners competition. There's some things there that I really want. There's others that I don't. If I win something I don't want, I don't plan on keeping it. It'll be sold and put towards something I do want.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
There's also the small matter of competition prizes being supplied by the UK distributors or manufacturers, neither of whom may want to tread on the toes of their overseas distributors by offering prizes to entrants in their territories. Hence the 'UK only' nature of the competitions.

kevin7.1

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
This is actually the first time i have been into the hifi forum because i am that little bit more interested in home cinema at the minute ( and probably till i can buy a bigger home and unbox my stereo system from the loft ).

Now i too like the rest of the haters on this thread am gutted i didn't win. Maybe next time!!! I guess at the very least if someone wins and throws the prize on an auction site then it gives someone who can't quite strech to the item the opertunity to get it for that bit less.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Lee H said:
Silly me. I thought the forum was here for help, advice and banter rather than a qualifying tool for competitions. :)

They entered, they won. Good for them. They may subscribe and pay Haymarket every month rather than simply use this site for free (yes, I know many on here do that too)

I've entered the Award winners competition. There's some things there that I really want. There's others that I don't. If I win something I don't want, I don't plan on keeping it. It'll be sold and put towards something I do want.

Well put.

scene

psurquhart said:
Lee H said:

Well put.

:clap: exactly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts