OLED 4K HDR = Screen Burn

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
So with two close looks but no reviews, one of the Panasonic 4K OLED HDR and one of the LG, both seem to suffer from screen burn! While I was looking forward to an OLED 4K HDR set in he future I'm wondering if OLED and HDR are a match mad in hell rather than heaven. What do we think? Is HDR going to be OLED achilles heel?

D

Deleted member 2457

rocketrazor said:
So with two close looks but no reviews, one of the Panasonic 4K OLED HDR and one of the LG, both seem to suffer from screen burn! While I was looking forward to an OLED 4K HDR set in he future I'm wondering if OLED and HDR are a match mad in hell rather than heaven. What do we think? Is HDR going to be OLED achilles heel?
Tints still seem to be a problem on the LG too.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I was really looking to get an oled by end of this year, but am even more confused now than a year ago.*dash1* HDR is not even included with the new Panasonic for 8grand. Would be added at a latter date with software update...

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
That just means they don't have the coding tech nailed down that is all.

They might be waiting for more content to ensure they got it bang on before releasing.

Although the other big Co. Have released theirs doesn't mean they are spot on and won't be updated again as well. I have a feeling there will be lots of updates like early blu ray players

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
rocketrazor said:

Have you seen screen burn in person then rocket or just from internet sites?

It's interesting to see screen burn mentioned as I have had no problems with my OLED so far and neither has gel so maybe it could be a combination of both factors that are causing this as the leap to 4K in itself could possibly cause issue let alone the addition of HDR.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that as the tech grows and companies get a better grasp of HDR that ways around the issue may be found but for now I would be steering well clear if screen burn is an issue...been there done that thank you.

D

Deleted member 2457

Just seen another video of the Panasonic OLED in German and it does look good, the black is really black and the bright colours are really bright. I have also just seen some pictures of the flat LG and they look cracking too.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I bet you find HDR is used most in advertising - you can imagine how crazy tv adverts are going to get

I can only imagine the sorts of screen burn issues that will lead to. Worst case senario would be if Sky start using it and the Sky Sports logo burns it's way onto the screen.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
Gel you really sound like you are trying to talk yourself into one of the new models, itchy trigger finger?
*biggrin*. Nope, I haven't got a credit card anymore. *smile*

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Just seen another video of the Panasonic OLED in German and it does look good, the black is really black and the bright colours are really bright.

You shouldn't be chasing improved black levels when you own a TV that can produce perfect black (or at least blacks that register as absolute zero on expensive light meters).

The Panasonic and new LG OLEDs will produce exactly the same black levels as your current TV; in other words, as black as it's possible for a TV to ever display.

The new LG and Panasonic OLEDs should offer better shadow detail; and of course they can display 4K content, but this is of little advantage until the content's there, which isn't the case at the moment.

Right now, a 4K TV will need to upscale the overwhelming majority of content, and your 980w will do a better job with both standard definition and HD material.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
Just seen another video of the Panasonic OLED in German and it does look good, the black is really black and the bright colours are really bright.

You shouldn't be chasing improved black levels when you own a TV that can produce perfect black (or at least blacks that register as absolute zero on expensive light meters).

The Panasonic and new LG OLEDs will produce exactly the same black levels as your current TV; in other words, as black as it's possible for a TV to ever display.

The new LG and Panasonic OLEDs should offer better shadow detail; and of course they can display 4K content, but this is of little advantage until the content's there, which isn't the case at the moment.

Right now, a 4K TV will need to upscale the overwhelming majority of content, and your 980w will do a better job with both standard definition and HD material.
Yep, you're right mate no point chasing improved black on what I already have, otherwise it is just getting crazy. I think my upgrades should be coming to the end. This time at least I will see out my warranty with John Lewis. Hopefully by then the prices will be cheap and 4K Ultra HD Blu ray players will be nice and cheap too.

How about you are going to hold onto your Panasonic for a while?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
are going to hold onto your Panasonic for a while?

I don't have the money or inclination to buy a new TV at the moment.

I'd need to remortgage my house to buy the new Panasonic, and I'd rather pay down my mortgage than add to debt.

My VT65 isn't perfect, but it's generally fine and I'm happy to live with this for a good few years.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
The only thing with my 65VT65 is that it sometimes (in the last month or so) loses a few of the HD channels on Freeview; at the moment I can't get channels 109 to 111, which is odd because the other televisions attached to the same aerial feed are not missing any channels.

Regarding the new Panasonic 65" 4K OLED, and even the new LG flat 65" 4K OLED, yes, they all sound wonderful, but even if I were thinking of getting one of them (I'm not, they're the wrong size for me) I would wait until they've had a proper review from What HiFi, avforums, hdtvtest etc. So far all we have are very good first impressions at trade shows.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy said:

Just seen it in to preview reviews of both TV's online. One even posted a picture where you could clearly see the LG OLED on the screen while it wasn't playing any content!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
Oldboy said:

Just seen it in to preview reviews of both TV's online. One even posted a picture where you could clearly see the LG OLED on the screen while it wasn't playing any content!

That is bad news. It must be something to do with the leap to 4K and HDR then as my LG OLED has showed no sign of image retention or burn. I would be very cautious in buying any of these new models that's for sure.

TRENDING THREADS