Older vs newer subwoofers

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
is there any noticeable difference in sound quality and such with subs that are say 4 years old, compared to a sub that is brand new and released in 2016?

i would of thought so, even a small amount. but i want to make sure.

F

FunkyMonkey

I have a subwoofer from 2005ish. It's sound as a pound. Modern ones have DSP. Mine does not. But who cares? The av receiver takes care of that.

mikemar

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
About to build my long awaited audio/video room. Unpacked the Miller & Kreisel V1B sub and found the driver's surround totally desintegrated. So I ask, replace the driver for $65 -100 or sell the cabinet on Ebay and get a new sub? Which is the better value?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think that over the last decade or so, cone material has got stronger and the digital amps driving them, have got more powerful. This means that you can get infeasibly powerful performance from smaller cabinets..eg. Paradigm Seismic 110 or Velodyne SPL 800 Ultra.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Sealed box subwoofers have improved loads over the last 10 years.

It's not about design improvements as such more what can be done with a amplifier in terms of controlling the performance of the drivers in the box.

Comparing rels of years old compared to some newer sealed subs there is no comparison.

super

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
mikemar said:
About to build my long awaited audio/video room. Unpacked the Miller & Kreisel V1B sub and found the driver's surround totally desintegrated. So I ask, replace the driver for $65 -100 or sell the cabinet on Ebay and get a new sub? Which is the better value?
Where did you store the sub and for how long ?

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
is there any noticeable difference in sound quality and such with subs that are say 4 years old, compared to a sub that is brand new and released in 2016?

i would of thought so, even a small amount. but i want to make sure.

The latest subwoofers utilise class D amplifier modules and have a much higher power output (although some manufacturers ones are a bit flaky). They also have DSP room equalisation too, especially handy if you are using it in a 2 channel setup.

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
i`d say quite a bit depends on which manufacturer of subwoofers you choose

JL Audio for instance have recently re-vamped the Fathom and Gotham series, the new V2`s have more power, better driver suspension, 18 band DARO eq amongst other improvements and these differences are quite audibly noticeable tbh, so i`d say yes, you can heat a difference between these and the similar model from 4 years ago

Allan

mikemar

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
super said:
mikemar said:
Where did you store the sub and for how long ?

It's been box-stored inside for most of 18 years. Was in a storage warehouse for about 5 but the cabinet doesn't have any dryness to it at all. The surround is desintegrated. Obviously they are not made any more but is it worth the 65-100 for a new driver? The newer amp technology just might be rendering it obsolete?

TRENDING THREADS