I recently replaced my Arcam 7se with a Marantz 5005 (got a bargain price) wish i hadnt done it now. I am missing the drive and attack so my conundrum is what next. I am looking at a budget of 200 second hand my current choices are as follows. I like it fast punchy lots of drive and attack I know the amp is very capable of ooomph

Arcam DIVA CD192
Cyrus 6se
Technics 770D
Arcam irDac

Thoughts?

Setup: Arcam Alpha 10, MS RS6 Silvers, Yamaha KX300

Gray

People may have ideas but, as you've found, there's no substitute for listening yourself.
You may have seen WHF describe the Cyrus 6SE as 'tight, punchy and precise' (that's certainly a good description of my Cyrus 8 amp, if you're someone who believes in house sounds).

If you can make use of a DAC for any other of its inputs.....would be worth trying the 5005 digital out through it (as a bonus CD sound changer),
before deciding whether you need a different CDP.

....You've probably done the obvious....searched for another Arcam 7SE.

Last edited:

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
Curious, I’ve never heard any Arcam described as fast and punchy. The irDac is anything but those things. Technics players are very smooth and lush so I’m not sure that will fit your brief. The Cyrus matches your sound requirements best but the 6SE was plagued by reliability issues. If you could stretch to a 6SE2, they were much more reliable. The Rotel RCD965BX deserves all the hype around it and is built to last. Older Cambridge Audio players might be worth investigating, too.

matthewpiano

I've got a Rotel RCD965BX in back-up and it still sounds superb and works perfectly. It's one of my favourite CD players of all time.

If you buy one, check that the seller has the plastic transport screws. This screw into the underside of the unit to protect the mechanism in transit. There is a chance it would be OK without, but it's safer with.

Otherwise, if you can stretch to the latest Rotel CD11 Tribute, I think you'll find it worthwhile. My Dad has this and it's an extremely good CD player with plenty of punch and pace.

Reactions: SteveH72
I recently replaced my Arcam 7se with a Marantz 5005 (got a bargain price) wish i hadnt done it now. I am missing the drive and attack so my conundrum is what next. I am looking at a budget of 200 second hand my current choices are as follows. I like it fast punchy lots of drive and attack I know the amp is very capable of ooomph

Arcam DIVA CD192
Cyrus 6se
Technics 770D
Arcam irDac

Thoughts?

Setup: Arcam Alpha 10, MS RS6 Silvers, Yamaha KX300

Being somewhat hamstrung by your budget, I would recommend, as others have suggested, Rotel RCD 965 or the newer RCD 02. Both are superb.

Having owned Arcam CD73T from new in 2005, it finally gave up and I replaced it earlier this year with a first gen Exposure CD 2010. Quite frankly, it's very punchy, rhythmically excellent and just great fun. However, it'll still exceed your budget by £50 or so for a well sorted model. Cracking player IMHO and will match well with Arcam amps.

Reactions: SteveH72

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts