Older Arcam mid-range vs new Marantz budget?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi folks,

I currently have an Arcam CD192 and A85, and I really like the sound. But the system is currently in storage in Scotland, and it would cost a fair bit of money to have it shipped to me in Jersey, so I was thinking of just selling it and trying something else.

I quite like Marantz kit, so was thinking of picking up the CD6004/PM6004, but I'm unsure how this would compare to my Arcam. Obviously the solution is to listen to it, but as I don't have the Arcam to hand to take for a demo, and as any demo session is going to involve a flight or a ferry, I could do with a few opinions from people!

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I appreciate the difference in the cost of the components at full price, but I'm wondering whether or not that difference is justified nowadays? Isn't today's budget kit closer in performance to decade-old mid-range stuff? I genuinely haven't a clue, as I haven't listened to much lately!

I'm happy to consider other kit too, but wouldn't really want to spend too much more than the £700 or so I'd get for the Arcam. As we're VAT-free, I'd be happy to go to about £1000 or so at UK prices.

If I wouldn't get anything as good as the Arcam for that money I'll just ship it. Does anyone know a good Courier for shipping hi-fi? The best price I've got so far is about £35 a box inc. insurance.

A

Anonymous

Both are still good seperates but personally I'd ship the CDP and sell the amp and then use the funds to either get the new Marantz 6004 integrated or go down a different 2nd hand route (i.e. Musical Fidelity XA200, Arcam Alpha 10, Roksan Kandy LIII etc...)

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I'll likely either ship both or none. Things need to match to please the missus. We've just moved into a new flat so I don't want to ruin the look of the living room with, as she puts it, my "boxes" :)

Interesting point though, what do you think is better about the Marantz? That's the sort of thing I was curious about - if you can get equivalent or better performance for less money.

Second hand isn't really an option, buying new is more cost-effective as I'll have the same carriage costs buying second hand as I would have shipping my own kit. Some retailers offer free shipping to Jersey, and if they're not free they're still an awful lot cheaper than I can get it. Plus I get VAT taken off new kit, which is a pretty decent saving.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
You're no help, you lot. You were supposed to help give me a clear-cut, one way or t'other decision :)

I have RS6 speakers as well which are definitely getting sold as they'd cost about £100 to ship, and they don't match the new living room either :silenced:

The Marantz would look a lot better too. Just don't want to get them and they're noticeably poorer sounding. Surely technology has come on a bit in 10 years? No?

matthewpiano

OK. The Marantz will be a more complete sound than the Arcams. You'll get a great balance between warmth, detail, smoothness and attack with superb portrayal of instrumental and vocal timbres, and that is based on my experience with the 6003 components. The 6004s are supposed to be even better.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with Marantz. Superb stuff.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
OK, if you really want to be told... ;)

If you're also selling your speakers, your choice of replacement speaker and the acoustics of the new room will have a greater effect on the overall sound than whether you go for older Arcam v new Marantz.

If the missus would like shiny new Marantz gear for the new gaff, don't argue and use this to your advantage! Make it sound like you're doing her a favour by selling your favourite hi-end Arcam gear and suffering the modern budget kit. Treat her to some nice thick rugs and curtains or acoustic panels disguised as works of art! BUT then be sure to stand your ground when it comes to negotiations over the speakers and their placement in the room!

If she has an iPhone/iPod, it plugs straight into the CD6004 and interfaces digitally (so that the CD player is doing the analogue conversion rather than the iPhone). You won't even need loads of CD cases lying around gathering dust and cluttering the living room. You're getting that feature for HER, of course ;)

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Another option is the ADM9Ts of course :)

And use any disk-spinner you have to play back (via optical)... Through their DAC they all sound the same to me, and all excellent.. :)

Great sound and no more boxes (apart from the speakers)..

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Paradiziac - I've used that angle too often :) The Apple TV was bought on account of it making it easy for the missus to play her music. Thick rugs and acoustic panels would be nice, but not in this apartment. It's kinda minimalist, not great for hi-fi really.

snivilisationism - I wouldn't buy AVI, just not my cup of tea. I've looked at the Epoz and one or two others, but I think I'd probably like to stick with normal passive speakers that can be built into a 5.1 package if I fancy it.

Only other option is to wait 'til the next time I'm back up the road in the car, which would be January. But that's a long time with just an iPod!

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Why buy a dedicated CD player at all? It's legacy equipment and you'd be better off with a universal disc player and AV amp for music and movie duties. Also, as has been mentioned, you could go down the active route and get a coupe of much smaller and more unobtrusive boxes, such as a mini htpc and preamp/DAC combo.

I've reduced the overall number and size of boxes (not including speakers) to three Wii sized items, including a Wii.

If you still want a CD player, how about the Audiolab 8200CDQ? CD player, preamp and DAC, just add some active speakers for a minimalist system that doesn't have to match the other components, because there aren't any. :)

A

Anonymous

bigblue235 said:
snivilisationism - I wouldn't buy AVI, just not my cup of tea. I've looked at the Epoz and one or two others, but I think I'd probably like to stick with normal passive speakers that can be built into a 5.1 package if I fancy it. Only other option is to wait 'til the next time I'm back up the road in the car, which would be January. But that's a long time with just an iPod!

That's fair enough. But don't compare the Epoz powered speakers to the active AVI ADMs. 2 entirely different animals. One is an ok powered speaker aimed at computer and iPod users, the other, a genuinely high-end all-in-one component.

And of course any AV receiver with preouts will accomodate the AVIs perfectly...also leaving them to power the music.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Overdose - I do have my music on PC too, and I have an Apple TV which will also be used as a source, but I just like having a CD player. I love the Audiolab, but that plus Active speakers will be well over my £1000 budget. And even buying the standard version won't leave me much change for an amp. An AV amp is out at the moment as the current layout of the flat means that only 2 speakers can be used.

Snivilisationism - The AVIs seem great, but I'm still not buying them :)

matthewpiano

This 'legacy' label infuriates me and, to be quite honest, I find it totally irrelevant. CD is still capable of stunning results, as is vinyl, and simply dismissing them as somehow inferior to computer based replay is pretty short-sighted in my opinion.

I think you had the right idea with your thoughts of the Marantz 6004 components. Pair with some good £200-ish speakers like the MA BX2, Mordaunt-Short Aviano 1Xr or 2, or the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 and you'll have cracking system.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Infuriating as it may seem, legacy it is.

The playing of CDs is done just as efficiently with a Pc, DVD player or Blu Ray player, in fact anything that can read the information on the disc.

My point is that there is little reason, in my opinion, to buy a dedicated CD player, when any other multi disc player will suffice. A dedicated CD player brings nothing extra to the table, other than another box. I moved from a CD player, DVD player and amplifier, to a much more compact and versatile setup, that still plays CDs, but also plays Blu Ray, DVD and streams. Being a small form factor Pc, it does the obvious Pc thing and is all but unoticeable, being about the size of 4 DVD boxes stacked.

All this and it sounded better than my old system and cost me no more in real terms, as I bought it with the money I got from the sale of my kit. The price for the speakers and audio interface was around £500.

Each to their own mind you, but sometimes it's worth taking a lateral view on other options and actives do provide a compelling argument when space is at a premium.

John Duncan

snivilisationism said:
John Duncan said:
snivilisationism said:
One is an ok powered speaker aimed at computer and iPod users, the other, a genuinely high-end all-in-one component.

Which is which?

No need for sarcasm.

Oh come on, that was funny.*

I heard the Aktimate Maxi and the 9.1 at the same time with the same source and I preferred the Epoz. I have no doubt other people would think otherwise, and good on them.

*Subjectively.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Space isn't at a premium and having fewer boxes isn't a priority. They just have to look OK so they don't spoil the look of the place :) The Marantz get a thumbs-up from the boss, the grey Diva stuff maybe looks a bit dated.

I have various devices on my AV rack which will play discs, but none of them sound as good as my CD player. The Apple TV isn't far off, but I still want to have a 'proper' CD player in my system for now. I know I could buy a DAC, but I'd rather buy a more expensive one further down the line when we've settled in and don't need to keep buying things for the house.

As for speakers, I haven't really put much thought into it yet, but it will be floorstanders. It'd be a shame not to, as the flats are soundproofed. I might go for RX6s, Zensors or maybe even AE Neo v3.

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
snivilisationism said:
John Duncan said:
snivilisationism said:
One is an ok powered speaker aimed at computer and iPod users, the other, a genuinely high-end all-in-one component.

Which is which?

No need for sarcasm.

I heard the Aktimate Maxi and the 9.1 at the same time with the same source and I preferred the Epoz.

Explains a great deal ;)

A

Anonymous

I go with Marantz, but no that model, be patient and buy 8003 model, trust me, i have a 6002, it's a good player, but only for few yers, you outgrow him very fast, i wish i was somebody to tell me that, now, after 2-3 years i changin for something better....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts