Old vs. new?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have zeroed in on Marantz CD6002 cd player. Now I'm confused between-

a) PM7001

b) PM6002

c) PM4001

I want to drive a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 with these using QED Silver Anniversary cables.

best regards.

matthewpiano

Great choice of CD player and speakers, but try a range of different amps. I've just had a PM4001 for a few days and wasn't impressed with it at all. It sounded very weedy, thick and syrupy to me and I've returned it to the dealer. The PM6002 and 7001 will both be better options but also try amps from NAD, Cambridge Audio and Rotel as alternatives.

A

Anonymous

You are right Andrew. I was indeed looking only at Marantz.

Thank you Mathew for your suggestion.

I did hear the CD5001 + PM4001 combo, liked it. But then the new combo arrived in the shop. CD6002 + PM6002, heard it and I like it better than the first combo.

I almost placed the order for the *002 combo, and the dealer insisted that I must listen to PM7001 as he believes that PM7001 is better and would work out a very good deal for that.

But now that Andrew is assuring me that PM7001 is better, I'm convinced. Will take the demo soon and hopefully buy it also!

Best Regards.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, the PM7001 is from the class above the PM6002, as the model number suggests. Chance your arm and ask him if he can do you a deal on the PM7001KI!

A

Anonymous

LOL!!! I'll definitely try for the KI series.

But Andrew, I'm just wondering, Ken Ishiwata is more like a 'brand ambassador' for Marantz. I cant seem to find anything different in the KI series other than the Torroidal transformer and copper plating.

If I choose to ignore this as cosmetic make over, is it still worth spending the precious extra for the KI Signature?

best regards.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Far from a cosmetic makeover, and Ken's job title rather belies his contribution to the sound and design of the products. Simply, if Ken doesn't give it the say-so, it doesn't get the go-ahead.

The man is an old-school audiophile and inveterate tweaker, with experience going back to his days as a radio operator in merchant ships many many years ago - how many is shrouded in mystery, but it's not quite back to the days when you had to wind up a handle before tapping out messages on a morse key.

He's been involved in the design of just about every model in the Marantz range going back into the mists of time, and the Brand Ambassador title only came about a) because they had to put something on his business card and b) he was spending so much time on the road worldwide demonstrating the products and opening up new markets, such as China, for the brand.f

This interview from The BAJ predates the Brand Ambassador title, but will give you some more of the background if you're interested.

IMHO the difference in sound between the KI products and the standard ones is consistently well worth the money - but take a listen and decide for yourself.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Andrew. That was a very interesting interview, indeed an eye opener. I didn't know about the genius of Ken Ishiwata. For me he was just a hyper audiophile engineer.
emotion-15.gif

Having said that, PM7001 KI still looks beyond reach for my budget. I'll have to be satisfied with the KI signature less version
emotion-6.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts