Old Virgin Box SCART output only, to Onkyo TX-SR309

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I bought a Scart to Phono "output" to connect my Virgin box to the AV Receiver (TX-Sr309 - Onkyo).

The Audio is fine, and feeds through, but no picture. Was conencting to the CBL/SAT.

Pretty sure all is correct and can't find any settings that I should be using but no picture.

NOTE: THe Virgin box has NO HDMI output. This is a 'second' bos used in kids playroom etc.

If I connec the Virgin to the TV on SCART to SCART then all is good...so output is there... but this bypasses the AV Reciever.So OK as a temporary measure, but I want to get the SCART to PHONO working.

Anyone any ideas ?

The PS3 via HDMI is fine.

USB etc.. is fine.

Cheers

K

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You need to check that the TV signal output – in the settings menu – is set to 'composite' rather than 'RGB' or 'Y/C', and that the Onkyo is set to accept composite video. Bear in mind that you'll also need a composite video output to the TV from the Onkyo in order to see the picture, as the 309 has no video conversion built-in.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
How many phono cables on the SCART lead? 3 or 5? You need to check the video output on the Virgin box to see what it's set to, for a 3 phono scart you need Composite, for 5 you need Component (if either of those are available). I don't know Virgin's boxes but I wouldn't be surprised if the video output is set to RGB, which won't show through either of those cables.

EDIT: Jinx.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Indeed: if using a cable with five phonos coming from the scart, then you need to use the component output setting on the Virgin box, and component in on the Onkyo, plus a component video lead from the Onkyo to the TV.

A

Anonymous

Thanks both, I will check the settings after the rugby.

My concern is the reference to "A component lead between Onkyo and TV" My goal was to only have ONE cable between the AV Receiver and the TV. ie. a HDMI cable only. This was the very reason I bought the Av receiver. I already have the HDMI in a conduit set in the wall. No room in the conduit for another cable. So a component cable (whatever that is) would be a real pain.

Will report back later.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
A component video cable is a three-cable connector like this:

2m-component-video-cable-37531.jpg

While a composite video cable is a single cable like this:

profigold-prov5010.jpg

But with your receiver however the video goes in, that's how it comes out, which means extra cables to the TV..

To connect up a component/composite source and output through your single HDMI, you need a receiver with video upconversion, which the 309 doesn't have.

The only way round it, if you're outputting component from the Virgin box and you want to keep that cable you've bought is to use one of these between the V box and the receiver, which will convert component video and a digital audio feed from the Virgin box into an HDMI output you can then connect into the receiver.

component-to-hdmi-converter.jpg

Most Virgin boxes have a digital audio output, sometimes hidden in what looks like a 3.5mm headphone socket.

If your Scart adapter cable has just three plugs – usually yellow, red and white – then you're going to be using composite video, and you need a converter box such as this to provide an HDMI input into your receiver:

img22__29832_zoom.jpg

Or – and this is the simplest one of all – ditch that Scart-to-phono cable you've bought, and use a Scart-to-HDMI scaler/converter such as this:

scart-to-hdmi-converter.jpg

A

Anonymous

Fantastic. Thanks. Looks like I will be getting the start to hdmi converter. May well be short term fix nd will upgrade virgin box. Have V+ in the main room but this is just for the kids/music room. Ps3, tv and iPods etc. But excellent guidance. Thx for taking the time. Now I need to link the Sonos into the av receiver. .... :).

Maplins on Monday.

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Why not call Virgin on Monday and ask how much to change your present box (I assume it's an old Pace one) to one of the new V boxes.

If they give you an extortionate amount, then mention that you have been considering going to sky as you can get a much better deal. My bet is that they'll come back with a better offer and you won't have to faff around with all these converter boxes - The V Box is the V+ without the hard disc and with an HDMI output.

Give it a go you've got nowt to lose !

Rob

A

Anonymous

Re calling Virgin, Good call, was toying with upgrading to TiVo . will discuss the options with them. Will need to plan for an hour free.....50 minutes on hold then a 10 min call....... Not that I am cynical. :)

Re: Sonos. Yep... Agree. Straight forward. Thx.

A

Anonymous

Just an update to close this off. Decided to call Virgin . Upgraded main box (in other room) to TIVO box, and will be moving the V+ box into room with 309, and dumping the old SCART ONLY box. So I wont need the Scart to HDMI converter. The price of that is pretty much the installation fee, and Tico is only extra £3 per month. Si I should be all HDMI soon.

But thanks to all for the responses.

Audio , I understand. Networks I understand, Video editing , formats etc (CS5.5) software etc .... I understand. But I never quite appreciated the conversions required between COmponent and HDMI. Live and learn.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts