Old system needs new life pt.2

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

First off, I love this forum. Has to be one of the best online and with friendly folk/good banter too.

Right. Down to buisness. I recently bought myself a turntable after selling my cd player. Yes thats the way my mind works ! Wierd I know. :O Ive always hankered for an analogue sound and so I finally gave up on CD. So my system currently consists of -

Musical Fidelity B200 amp

Pro-Ject Debut ES/3 turntable

B&W 601 speakers

Would upgrading to newer speakers and an amp be worthwhile ? As Im on quite a low budget anyway. My mission is to have a smooth, rich, textured sounding system. Its how I like my coffee too. I dont like bright or analytical or even neutral ! I love musicality, the vibe of a song much more than each individual pinpoint detail. So say my budget is £300 for an amp/£300 for speakers. Id love a valve amp but its impossible for £300.

Also important to point out is I dont drive so auditioning is impossible. My own local Hifi dealer has closed :cry:

What do you all think I should do ?

Stephen

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
sthomas048 said:
I'd love a valve amp but its impossible for £300.

That ain't necessarily so ... Click here (What Hifi new snippet ... here)

... OK it's a hybrid amp, but might be what you're looking for. If you prefer not to buy "made in China" (unfortunately most of the newer cheaper valve amps are), then you might have to look at a used amp, unless someone can come up with some other suggestions.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Tino. Both Mistral amps look great, especially the £799 model 8) But Id need a phono input for my turntable. Im not put off by the cheaper Chinese valve amps. Ive read a lot of good reports about them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts