Old Phillips CD needs an uprade

toneey.m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi

My kit is a bit thrown together, mostly given to me as a result of my mate who likes to upgrade! My Marantz PM6003 amp is new but I also use a pair of Mission 760i speakers (which never seem to sound tired) and a Phillips CD from the early 90s, so I guess its the CD that needs upgrading, any suggestions? I may consider an upgrade to the speakers as well, Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 get good review in this months magazine but I may be able to spend up to £400. Is this wise, does my amp justify the extra cost on speakers?

T

the record spot

If your Philips is in good working order and still spinning away quite happiuly, then I'd be in no grand rush to swap it out for something that's probably not going to sound massively different. I've been through a few from a hobbyist's perspective in recent years (off Ebay and the like) and a £600 Marantz SA7001-KI isn't massively better than the Marantz I'm currently using in my signature line below (1993 model) and that's not massively different from the Denon DVD-3930 that's currently and rather impressively playing the Joni Mitchell Shine album.

Deffo try out some speakers, as that's where the biggest difference in sound will come, then maybe a DAC which would give you additional options (music off computer, etc).

T

the record spot

Ah, I didn't say that. I think Mission made some great speakers - the 760i is a good one and the 751 and 752 were fantastic speakers. So I'm a big fan of the brand. If you like the sound, stick with them. If you fancied hearing something different, the speakers will make the most obvious change that you'll hear.

toneey.m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the help you gave me, I really appreciate it.

In the event I had a demo of some Kef R100 speakers and they were amazing, but of course the amp was a Naim (model unknown). They were also more than I wanted to pay at £600. So whilst I'd like to upgrade my speakers I am still unsure what to go for. More recently the Marantz amp I have is giving me a problem that out weighs all these niceities - I just want a reliable amp again and am thinking of getting hold of a second hand Arcam or NAD amp.

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts