Old Hifi, cd/usb playing- perfect, analogue input - hissing

niceaudio123

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
I have an old kenwood hifi with the following features: CD player, USB (for disk on keys and old mp4 players), Memory Card slot and RCA analogue input.

I'm trying to deal with one or more of the following problems without investing more money:
  • It is a shame that this system has so many digital inputs but none are relevant for connecting a PC and I have to use the analogue - is there a workaround for that?
  • The CD/USB is much better quality and with significantly less backgroung hiss, compared to pc connected with RCA playing spotify on high quality settings.
  • Even if I get an external DAC for better audio quality, the background hiss is still a problem in RCA mode, and it is present even if no cable is connected.
Any thoughts?

Thanks!

This is the user guide for the hifi: http://manual.kenwood.com/files/B60-5655-00_BEFOREUSE.pdf

Gray

I have an old kenwood hifi with the following features: CD player, USB (for disk on keys and old mp4 players), Memory Card slot and RCA analogue input.

I'm trying to deal with one or more of the following problems without investing more money:
  • It is a shame that this system has so many digital inputs but none are relevant for connecting a PC and I have to use the analogue - is there a workaround for that?
  • The CD/USB is much better quality and with significantly less backgroung hiss, compared to pc connected with RCA playing spotify on high quality settings.
  • Even if I get an external DAC for better audio quality, the background hiss is still a problem in RCA mode, and it is present even if no cable is connected.
Any thoughts?

Thanks!

This is the user guide for the hifi: http://manual.kenwood.com/files/B60-5655-00_BEFOREUSE.pdf
Any chance of ripping your music collection (CD or vinyl) to digital files, using your computer? These files could then be easily transferred to USB stick / SD card.
The files would be OK for future use on other devices, so you wouldn't be wasting your time.
There's not much you can do about the hiss inherent in the Kenwood's amplifier......some investment on new gear may be necessary.

niceaudio123

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
Thanks.

Theoretically I can rip, but practically I can't go back to the stone age and play individual tracks using an old hifi interface.

So frustrating that this effing thing has functionality to convert from CD to USB drive/memory card but it can't recieve a simple digital input.

No way to hack it? Use the usb jack to connect to the pc and trick it to think it's a usb speaker?

niceaudio123

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
Looks like an external DAC is the cheapest way to go here, maybe it will provide better, louder source and I won't have to crank up the volume on the hifi which causes more hiss.

shadders

Yes. With no cable connected at all the hiss remains the same for every given volume level.
Hi,
Ok - did it always do this (hiss) ?

The unit is very low cost, given the features. If the USB or memory card provides better quality - then that may be the route to proceed, if you want to keep the system and spend no money. If the hiss on the analogue input is high, then the external DAC option will not provide any benefit.

Regards,
Shadders.

niceaudio123

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
Ok - did it always do this (hiss) ?
Not sure, started to notice it lately.

When nothing is playing:
- In analogue input the hiss starts when the volume is around "15" ("40" is max).
- In "CD mode", the hiss starts when the volume is around "20".

For the same song, when in analogue mode through pc I need higher volume to get the same loudness as in cd mode (the pc is max volume).
That's why I thought it would help if the source will be louder, but I was just shooting in the dark.

shadders

Not sure, started to notice it lately.

When nothing is playing:
- In analogue input the hiss starts when the volume is around "15" ("40" is max).
- In "CD mode", the hiss starts when the volume is around "20".

For the same song, when in analogue mode through pc I need higher volume to get the same loudness as in cd mode (the pc is max volume).
That's why I thought it would help if the source will be louder, but I was just shooting in the dark.
Hi,
For my amplifiers, i have to turn them up to the near maximum to hear the hiss.

For your system, it could be a fault, but you are not sure when it started or whether it has always done this. The system looks to be a single board entity, so fault finding through isolation of components, or having it repaired is probably not economic. Others may be able to suggest a solution.

Regards,
Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts