Old hi fi. Advice sought

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can someone please help. I have a naim nait 3 amplifier, naim cd3 and rega ela speakers all bought july 1996.

Have seen that the old naim kit still demands reasonable money and wondered how far new kit has moved on since

Would for instance the £500 or so i could get for the naim kit buy something equal to it nowadays or is there any sensible upgrade paths that could be recommended. Can I use the nait 3 with a different branded cd player as the cheapest naim cd is about £850 which is above my budget. Could stretch to £300 for upgrade plus anything i get for naim kit.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd keep it. You're unlikely to find anything new for that kind of money to rival it. If I were in your shoes with a couple of hundred quid, I'd be having a chat with your local Naim dealer, or Naim customer support, about the costs of having what you've got now serviced.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
i wholly agree with andrew on this one.naim gear command high prices because of the fact you can upgrade in stages and their kit sounds good.you have the older nait 3 which is a good amp in its own right and there is a chain of thought that the rega ela's are the best speakers they made,so please keep what you have,get some nac a5 speaker cable and enjoy.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that reply.

I can not get the cd serviced now as naim have no more transports.( they use old bits apparantly and if the laser goes then goodnight cd3)

The amp I can service for about £175

Am going to service amp and wait a couple of months and change cd deck possibly to the cd5i although will listen to others.

Thanks again

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
as your cd is working, i dont think you will better it even if you sell your naim gear and to be honest you would get more than £500.00 for the pair but if you did sell then rega would be one way to go as you have the ela's.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Nait 3 is worth about £220 - £250 so I don't think it make sense to service it, not to mention that many similar price amp (2nd hand) would out preform the aging Nait.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Also have a Naim cd3, what goes wrong with these units is the transport. There are two sellers on German ebay that sell transports and one in Australia. The gentleman in Australia Audio@tradeontheweb.net sells transports new, in original package for a very reasonable sum. I have grown attached to this player and purchased a spare transport.

Best Regards,

Fred

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts