Advice on where to go after 20 years (polite responses please)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Oxfordian

Oxfordian, I have a 20year old Arcam CD player that I would not swop for anything. Having said that, I use it less and less as I ripped all my CDs into FLAC format, a bit of a task but well worth it in the end. I took the leap and spent £500 on a streamer and took out Amazon HD and I haven't looked back. If you are happy with the Arcam amp and KEF speakers, I would consider using your budget elsewhere . . . .

Thanks for the feedback, since creating the thread I have had a bit of time to think and plan what I am going to do. My CD collection is now all copied and on hard disc along with downloaded digital music.

This is where I am now in terms of the upgrade process.

My Rega Planar 3 is now at the dealers and is having an upgrade to the motor and the power supply. Once I have this back this will get a good test with my existing kit.

Going forward my plan is to upgrade the speakers to a good set of stand mount ones, the dealer is suggesting the KEF LS50 Metas (I’m following another thread on these speakers) but with a new Audiolab 6000A to power them.

However, my preferred starting point is with the Acoustic Energy AE300 which seem to be a good speaker based on reviews but something I need to audution, I would try running these through my current Arcam 8 amp.

Whilst my AD would love me to spend lots of money in store I would prefer a slow and gradual upgrade, find what works and build on that rather than just kick the old kit into touch, especially when it is working.

If my current kit is not up to the job I am happy to change it, but I think that it should be a steady process of audition, decide, buy, listen and then consider next step. Once I have gone through this process and found a good balanced sound I don’t plan to buy anything again.

Once my RP3 is back I will review the kit overall, then get some speakers on a home demo and progress from there.

All suggestions on the best way of getting the best out of my kit are very welcome.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Reactions: rainsoothe

Oxfordian

Let’s have a month update. Where are you now with your kit? Is the Rega back?

Haha, one monthly update as requested

Old RP3 is back but not repaired, the cost of putting everything right following the water damage is not worth it so a new RP3 arrived yesterday, just starting to make friends with it. Shame insurance wouldn’t pay up.

My nice hifi shop has given me some kit on demo so having a good time at the moment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts