Old Castle speakers worth it?

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I think I've asked something similar before but this time a bit more specific:

I've been scouring the net for Castle speakers.

I can never find Castle Howard S3's for sale.

Would it be worth trying something like the Richmond or Pembroke stand mounts or are they too old to bother with now?

Also seen Castle Severn floor standers and Harlech floor standers – I think Harlech are smaller versions of the Howard's – but not sure if they are worth the current asking prices.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Very worth it, you can get them for a fraction of their original cost. Recently picked up some Harlech S2s for a second system, needed to replace a drive unit (Wilmslow Audio), extremely good performance, bargain. The older Ruarks would make a similar bargain.

Tear Drop said:
Very worth it, you can get them for a fraction of their original cost. Recently picked up some Harlech S2s for a second system, needed to replace a drive unit (Wilmslow Audio), extremely good performance, bargain. The older Ruarks would make a similar bargain.

+1. As long as you can get them at a low price these older speakers are wll worth a punt, even if you have to replace a driver or two.

Not bad prices at all I would say. Depending on your requirements / room size any of these would be a good buy. As an all-ronder the Severn was well received especially the S2, but the original was no slouch. Reknown for their cabinetry. A good solid investment I would say.

The floorstanders reminded me of Proacs and the Richmond of a small Harbeth - not a bad thing.
Keep your eyes open as Howard S3 went on Ebay in June for £475.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Richmond's.

I've got nice floor standers with matching centre that I got earlier this year. I don't want to start changing everything again but a set of stand mounters for occasional use for £100 I think I can justify!

FennerMachine said:
I bought the Richmond's.

I've got nice floor standers with matching centre that I got earlier this year. I don't want to start changing everything again but a set of stand mounters for occasional use for £100 I think I can justify!

Nice one. Do post your impressions when you have had chance to have a good listen. :grin:

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Good question Thompsonuxb!

I have changed speakers twice in the past two years, three if you include going back to the Missions that I had spare!

I have found that speakers make the biggest change to presentation of the music.

I like floor standers for their presence and depth.

I like stand mounters for the imaging and insight.

That's my excuse and justification to myself anyway!

The Castle speakers will be extras for occasional listening – I'm keeping the Quad 21L2's!

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Speakers arrived today.

Need to give them a good testing.

So far I like them.

Obviously less bass than the Quad 21L2 speakers but the bass they have is OK.

They have very good midrange; voices and some instruments.

They are detailed with subtle parts coming through more than any speaker I have heard.

I can turn the volume up with no fatigue and it does not sound harsh.

Definite keepers. They will make a nice change from the 21L2's so when I feel like changing/upgrading I'll put these on for a few weeks! Nice!

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Aiwa sound system speakers – (standmount)
Kenwood surround system speakers – (satellite/standmount)
B&W DM601 – (standmount)
B&W DM602.5 – (floorstander)
Mission 782 3-way – (floorstander)
Von Schweikert VR1 – (standmount)
Spendor SA1 – (standmount)
Quad 21L2 – (floorstander)
Castle Richmond – (standmount)

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Brief update.

Moved the speakers to the corners of the room, they were right out into the room.

Bass has improved massively. They have kept most of their other qualities. Nice!

Is it worth changing my approximately 1mm or 1.5mm (not sure, difficult to measure and no markings) speaker cable for 2.5mm or 4mm cable? I would only get inexpensive cable such as Van Damme UP-LCOFC.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Found out the existing speaker cable size for my front speakers.

0.1mm x 96 strand. That works out at about 0.75 cross-sectional area.

Would changing to 2.5mm or 4.0mm make any difference?

I use approximately 2m lengths.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts