Old cables still good?

ruivasco

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
My dealer has an Audioquest Coral for sale. I know this cable was descontinued in 2003/4 I think. But my question is if old cables can still match the actuals?I mean, in perfomance!

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Never heard of the Coral. But Audioquest certainly made some good cables in their time. I use the older stuff in my system to good effect. If they're solid core cables like Audioquests old 'Topaz' and 'Quartz', see if you can get them on trial, and give them a whirl.

ruivasco

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Mr Morph said:
. If they're solid core cables like Audioquests old 'Topaz' and 'Quartz',

How can I know if is solid core?

on the cable box they say the condutors are solid. So is a solid core design?

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
If they are the same series as the older stuff, and they have the original packaging, it will state on the back how the cables are constructed. It will state 'solid' rather than 'multi strand' design. In fact they might mention FPC, which was Audioquests 'functionally perfect copper' piece of hype... But don't let that put you off. But I would trial them first, and not buy them. Most good dealers and manufacturers will let you trial them, so it shouldn't be a problem.

A

Anonymous

They'll be fine..they all sound pretty much the same anyway

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Buy a set of new gold plated interconnects off eBay for £1.09 and compare them against the Audioquest Coral.

Best sounding cable stays on. If you have no particular prefence, cheapest cable stays.

As long as the connectors on the Corals haven't corroded they should sound as fine now as they ever have.

A

Anonymous

No! Cable technology has come on in leaps and bounds since 2004! Get a current ***** cable, avoid stranglimg your music. Get high highs and low lows. Get silver ideally as it sounds less coppery than copper.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
rbrierle said:
No! Cable technology has come on in leaps and bounds since 2004! Get a current ***** cable, avoid stranglimg your music. Get high highs and low lows. Get silver ideally as it sounds less coppery than copper.
Brilliant parody.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
ruivasco said:
I´m trying the Coral Audioquest. So far, are great. :rockout:

As were new, it needed a few hours to burn in
That's a good point. I wonder if you have to run the cables in longer, since they're old. Hmm - might cogitate over the weekend. Or go down the pub, whichever is easier.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
ruivasco said:

That's a good point. I wonder if you have to run the cables in longer, since they're old. Hmm - might cogitate over the weekend. Or go down the pub, whichever is easier.
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

altruistic.lemon said:
ruivasco said:

As cable is a lump of copper 'running in' is irelevant. It will affect capacitors, speaker suspensions and some magnetic cores however. And cars, you need to run in car engines, although not in the way people usually run them in.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Globs said:
altruistic.lemon said:
ruivasco said:

As cable is a lump of copper 'running in' is irelevant. It will affect capacitors, speaker suspensions and some magnetic cores however. And cars, you need to run in car engines, although not in the way people usually run them in.
To be fair, I think our citric friend was being whimsical and knows this cable running in lark is shall we say a tad dubious

Tromso

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I know its late to the party but Audioquest do have a cable archive section which gives details re construction

http://www.audioquest.com/archives/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts