Old amp with new speakers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
What you put in so if your going to get kef r500 they should have at least a good £1000 -1500 amp (new) n9t to say you dont get cheaper amps that punch above the weight and expensive ones that dont but in general ive come to realize through owning quite a few cheaper speakers and amps that price points and ranges normally go together better so if you gonna get a set of speakers like r500 then you should have an amp thats equal to it.

If funds are limited id look at a 2nd hand nad 275 power amp or an c370 intergrated and then get some good 2nd hand speakers like the monitor audio silver rx6 etc then youll have a decent sound for quite cheap.

Hope that makes sense as ive been on night shift all night and am very tired now

Stilolos

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Ideally I don't want to change my amp. Yes it's quite a few years old but has never ever been worked hard so I'm sure it has plenty of life left. It's simple really, my wife wants white speakers and I just want them to be ok hooked up to my old amp. With all the compatibility with ohms and bi wiring and stuff, I just don't want to destroy a perfectly good pair of speakers if they do not go together. Because my amp is old, are newer speakers not recommended? I don't remember much about the specs of the Sony so don't know about the power output. I could prob google it but still don't know what makes a good match of speaker.

Seakiwi

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
The KEF R500 will be fine, your amp is 100 watt per channel into 8 ohm so no issue with the KEFs.

I have a pair of R700 driven by an early 90's vintage Technics amp rated at 110 into 8 ohms and the sound is simply stunning.

Oh, and I wouldn't bother with Biwiring, but that is just me.

Stilolos

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I've an opportunity to purchase a set of B&W cm9 for a reasonable price. Price wise it's at the top of my budget and again, I wonder if I am trying too hard because the speakers will no doubt outclass my amp and therefore not be sufficient. I am really liking the kef r500 because they look slimline but as there is so much choice, I don't know what to go for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts