Okay so where next?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My current setup consists of a NAD C352 integrated amp, NAD C521 CD player and some Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers on Atacama nexus stands. My main priority is music but I do also use it for movies and find it quite adequate for that.

Although I like the setup I do feel that it might be missing something. I'm thinking that I might be craving a bit more bass than the 9.1s can deliver, however I don't want to sacrifice the nice tight delivery the Wharfedales have. My room is 3m by 10m I listen to pretty much everything (rock, jazz, soundtracks etc). As for budget, somewhere around the £400 - £700 mark (depends on how much I like what I listen to!).

So, what do you think should be on my list to listen to? And thanks in advance!

A

Anonymous

If you like the delivery of your stand mounters you could add a decent sub. People dismiss the idea but it can work very well. You can turn them off, adjust the gain and tune to your room according to the circumstances. I love turning mine up for movies and it makes a big difference to normal listening too.

A

Anonymous

Yeah I was looking at the Epos ELS which seems quite highly respected. The only thing is I'm not sure if I want an extra box in the room. Also due to the layout of the room it would have to be placed to either the extreme right or left of the system. Not sure how I feel about that even though I know bass isn't that directional. Agreed it would make movies very cool though! Out of interest how is yours positioned?

A

Anonymous

Although bass isn't directional I can always notice when my sub is placed far away from the speakers. Not a big problem though.

A

Anonymous

Maybe I should get two subs, one for the left and one for the right!

A

Anonymous

...and end up worrying about synchronization all of the time! I've heard of this being done but I'd lose my mind I think. What about some new speakers like MA RS6s or PMC?

A

Anonymous

Bass at the levels subs deliver is omnidirectional, but you can tell where the source is. IMO buy one sub of your choice and place it very close to your Wharfedales.

A

Anonymous

If I have more choice with positioning of the sub I think I would go for that option, however I think I will have to start auditioning some floorstanders!

A

Anonymous

The reason I got into stand mounters and subs in the first place was because I heard the RS6s and couldn't settle for the bass delivery. Adding a sub to stand mounters (I think) provides a much nicer sound for the given room acoustics. Be cautious when auditioning floor standers because things can change for the worse when getting them home.

A

Anonymous

Floorstanders are great if you are willing to pay out for them, but to equal what a £500 standy can deliver with the bass thing you're talking >£800.

A

Anonymous

What exactly didn't you like about the bass from the RS6? I have been worried about moving to floorstanders. To be honest my room accoustics are probably one of my biggest limiting factors now, including alcoves, far too many doors into the room and a suspended wooden floor! I should have though of all that before I moved house really!

JoelSim:Dali Ikon 6. Great for music, great for cinema sound. And upgradeable to a full 5.1 system in due course.

Also think about Monitor Audio RS6's. Like the Ikon's, they are upgradable to 5.1, and they will broaden the sound and if you look around you could save a bit off the RRP.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts