Oh! dear what have i done wrong?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
It has been 20 years since my last proper hi fi (Rega planar 3, Naim nait and Linn kan speakers ) Well with a limited budget i ended up buying a Cambridge audio 540c V2 Cambridge audio A5 amp with Q acoustic 1030's with cheap Maplins speaker cable. The detail is amazing for the money but i find it a little harsh, by the time i have listened to 4 or 5 tracks my ears are hurting and i have had enough. Any ideas will be much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Hi Richard, not sure what you mean by interconnects without digging a copy of What hi fi sorry mate i am a bit naive. The connection from cd to amp is a Cambridge audio, not sure of the name but its red and cost £10 when i brought the player. The speaker cable is just wrapped round the posts on the speaker end and the same on the amp end. The speaker end will take a banana plug but not sure about the cable connection to the amp, a spade or somthing?

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
The Interconnects are Cambridge Atlantic if memory serves me correctly, not exactly the best out there, same for the Maplin speaker cable. However, there may be other causes for the harshness, how long have you had the kit?, did you try it out in Richer Sounds?, if so did it sound harsh? what type of music do you listen to?

A

Anonymous

Hi Gwyndy, i did not try out the kit silly really, i have had for 3 weeks and just went by the reviews. I listen to all sorts really from Alanis morrisette to kate bush. Would the speaker cable and connections make a difference? The last bit of hi fi i had ( Kans and Naim combo) sounded much warmer and sort of nice and easy to listen too.

A

Anonymous

Very tempting to say that it's just the sonic recipe you've put together there. Perhaps you could change the speakers for something a bit more laid back. Unfort I don't know what to recommend.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
It's not too surprising when you've effectively traded down from Linn/Naim to a budget system. Have you still got the receipt?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"]Very tempting to say that it's just the sonic recipe you've put together there. Perhaps you could change the speakers for something a bit more laid back. Unfort I don't know what to recommend.[/quote]

I would be up for changing the speakers or amp if this would help, please post your recomendations and i can take it from there thanks Inglebert...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]It's not too surprising when you've effectively traded down from Linn/Naim to a budget system. Have you still got the receipt?[/quote]

Hi Joel, the system i had 20 years ago was second hand back then, i just thought that things may have moved on a bit since then and spending £500 would get me something a little better.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi Buddha

Do you still have any of the components from your old system?, If so, try changing the QAcoustics speakers for the Linn Kans, I'm assuming that they were first generaton Kans. Speaker technology does not appear to move all that quickly, lots of people still lust after LS3/5a speakers and as I recall when Acoustic Energy re-released the original AE1 design after 18 years they got very good reviews.

Gwyndy

A

Anonymous

I do not have any of the old equipment wish i did. Thanks for the help, i guess i will have to keep an eye on ebay for some Kans and a Naim then

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="buddha"]
I do not have any of the old equipment wish i did. Thanks for the help, i guess i will have to keep an eye on ebay for some Kans and a Naim then
[/quote]

It was just a thought, as it may have helped identify any weak link, in that case I would suggest getting in touch with Richer Sounds tommorow and discussing the situation with them, ask whether you could return the equipment for refund-they used to have 30 day no-quibble warrantee, failing that see if they will let you try swapping the amplifier, although I am not a Cambridge Audio fan (had an A500 once, died the week after the warrantee expired) I would suggest trying the Cambr idge 540 amp.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Buddha
i know this may seem silly, but having looked through all the posts on this threads, I'm curious
1 When did you last use your Rega, Naim,Linn set up?
2 What did you use for playing CDs prior to the Cambridge Audio 540?

Gwyndy

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gwyndy"]Buddhai know this may seem silly, but having looked through all the posts on this threads, I'm curious1 When did you last use your Rega, Naim,Linn set up? 2 What did you use for playing CDs prior to the Cambridge Audio 540?Gwyndy[/quote]

Hi Gwyndy, i last used my Rega, Naim, Linn set up about 15 to 20 years ago after owning an Arcam Alpha then on to a Mission Cyrus2 i ended up with the pre owned Naim.I loved this system and wanted to get something along the same lines. Being in the market for a new system i read the reviews and opted for the Cambridge audio system.I am not entirely gutted as at first i was impressed with the detail but it becomes very tiring on the ears. I think i am looking for (not sure about the term but i think it is a warm sound with a punchy bass) Before the CA 540 i used cheap and not so cheap all in one systems. Thank for your patience i really appreciate it. Cheers Paul

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi Paul
I'm working on three possible solutions here, please be sure to solicit everyone else's views as I haven't dealt at with Richer Sounds since I started upgrading to Linn in 2005.
Solution 1 Take the whole lot back to Richer Sounds and get your money back if possible, then try and get a mix of second-hand gear (Arcam Alpha series is reputed to have a warm sound) from eBay or secondhandhifi, hififorsale etc.

Solution 2 Talk to Richer Sounds, see if you can change the A5 (in my view that is the weak link in terms of electronics) for another amp, possibly the CA540A that matches the CD player or the Marantz 4001ose that they have a good deal on at the moment.

Solution 3 If Richer Sounds still do such a thing, see if you can borrow a box of demo cables- they used to let people borrow them on refundable deposit and try swapping interconnects and/or speaker cables to see if it makes a difference, it could be something as simple as the Cambridge Interconnect or Maplins cable being harsh in the treble.

Hope this is of some help
Regards
Mark

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have to say that I personally would take it all back to Richer Sounds, and would spend the money on good 2nd hand kit at that price.

Naim, Linn, Arcam, Rega, Roksan, Dali, Spendor, Ruark, Epos etc etc will all give you a much warmer sound than Cambridge, which in my opinion is as Japanese as British hifi can get. Bright and ugly.

PLuKE

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Ye try going back to Richersounds, They seem a good company and i have taken some bits back there before.

I have the Cambridge Audio 540A V2 amp and TBH its a cracking amp for the money!.

Luke

A

Anonymous

Well a big thanks to you all for your advice, what a great site. Taking the kit back is not really an option because i have had the A5 amp which i got from the Richer sounds internet site more than 30 days. So i think i will Ebay the amp and hope to get half the money back to spend on a new amp. I also think i will get some new speaker cable and try some different interconnects.

I have spotted in Richer sounds a 540a for £99 and a 640a £150 both version 1's which on the surface seem good buys, will there be much difference between V1 and V2. I can stretch to a version 2 540a if i need too.You have all helped me make up my mind to change but i need steering in the right direction.

Now i have the bug again and a motorbike in the garage doing nothing for most of the year the Naim nait might be a future option thanks again.....Paul

A

Anonymous

Hi Paul, I have the 540A / 540C combo, both v.2, and I don't think it will deliver the sound you're looking for. You said you wanted a warm sound with punchy bass; the 540 combination is a more "in your face" sound, that does verge on the harsh after a while. It is a nice amp, but only if you want to listen loud all the time, and only if this is your type of sound. Based on your postings, I'd look elsewhere. Good luck.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Did you buy the Supercare Warrantee with the Amp?, if so there used to be a guaranteed trade in value. May be worth contacting Richer Sounds store explain situation, see whether they will exchange or failing that what they will give you as a part-exchange on the A5 if you upgrade to the 640A version one.
The last A5 sold on eBay sold for £39 see itemhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cambridge-audio-A5-Integrated-Amp-Black-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ220194823771QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Might be a better short term option, although there are two Linn Majiks and several Arcam Alpha series amps on eBay for less than £150 at the moment. Really depends how much you want to spend on top of whatever you get back for the Cambridge amp and whether you desperately want something with warrantee, in my experience second-hand Arcam and Linn electronics are quite reliable never owned Naim but they have a good reputation for build quality.

PLuKE

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Wait till the weather gets better, The bike will take over and your mind wont be so much on the Hi-Fi stuff. I know am like that, But during the season i have no spare cash as racing bikes take all my money up then! :(.

I can deffo say the Cambridge 540A Version 2 is a cracking amp, Had it 2 weeks now from Richersounds.

Good luck!!.

A

Anonymous

Right cahange of plan then thanks to you lot
emotion-2.gif
. Now going to try the speaker cable option as it will be the cheapest plan. Also i am watching several Arcams from 6's to 10's on Ebay and a couple of Marantz amps, the trouble i have now is finding reviews on older hi fi so if you have any advice or some models to look out for please let me know. Cheers Paul

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="buddha"]
Right cahange of plan then thanks to you lot
emotion-2.gif
. Now going to try the speaker cable option as it will be the cheapest plan. Also i am watching several Arcams from 6's to 10's on Ebay and a couple of Marantz amps, the trouble i have now is finding reviews on older hi fi so if you have any advice or some models to look out for please let me know. Cheers Paul
[/quote]

That's a bit of an awkward question really, I have copies of What Hi-Fi going back to 97 or 98, many of the amps dropped star ratings with age, going by memory the Alpha 7 and 10 models were well recommended and the 8 and 9 models got 4 star ratings, I will have a dig through my mags and check. Arcam amps tended to have a "warm" sound in the pre-diva models.

I would offer to scan and email you some reviews, but: 1 Andrew/Claire may not approve and 2 I don't like the idea of sticking my email address on here and there's no facility to email a member that I can find.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the offer Mark, seem silly that we can not make contact with other members without posting email addy's on here. I am watching a few so it sounds like none of them are rubbish so i will have a watch and hopefully grab a bargain. I thought there might be a magazine or web site for older hi fi
emotion-3.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Could always set up temporary Hotmail addresses or something. That's what I usually do if I want to keep my email anonymous. After you've finished, just don't use it and it will de-activate in 30 days.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts