NR609 vs RX-V671 + Boston A26 vs MA BX2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

I already got a nice plasma, the Pana 42G30 and now i want to add a decent soundsetup. The space in the room is around 15m2. The receiver will be connected to the TV and PC. This enables me to stream music and video. I currently can't decide between the two receiver and speakers. My plan is to start a stereo setup, so the subwoofer, centerspeaker and rearspeakers will be added later. Which receiver will give me the best stereo sound? The Yamaha V671 or the Onkyo 609? Because of the smaller sized room, my intention is to go for bookshelfsized speakers. Will the Boston A26 or the Monitor Audio BX2 be better suited in my plan? It will be used for mainly movies/games and when i play music, it will be mostly trance/techno. Please let me hear your advise in on this matter, thanks in advance!

A

Anonymous

Hi Thor,

The only thing I can advise on is the V671 as I have one. Been running it for about 2 months now and it really is a top notch piece of equipment. Does everything you need and really well. Down to about £400 now. I've also just picked up a Pana 37dt30 tv and it's bloody brilliant! I dare say if you're going for trance/techno music, you don't want any speakers that are too bass heavy.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
The musical amps are the Yamahas generally, both are good for film, the Onkyo's are rather dedicated more towards the film end of the market, though that does not mean they dont handle music. Both of the amps are £379.95 at the moment so nothing to choose on price. The difference is the Onkyo has slightly better specifications mainly more power, ProLogic IIz, 7.2 option, THX Select2 Plus to name the main four.

I personally would err towards the Yamaha, but would advise a demo before purchase if at all possible of both amps with the speakers of your choice.

Regards ..

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies guys! Well I have been to a couple of stores selling the Boston Acoustics A25/26 but it wasn't possible to audition them... Though they recommended me to go for a Marantz NR1402. Now I'm debating between the Yamaha V671, Onkyo NR609 and the Marantz 1402. The Onkyo 609 seems to give a lot of features for the money and a immersive sound in movies judging by the reviews. However I think the Marantz will perform significantly better at music. And the problem is I want to use it for both music and movies. I don't care about netwerk connectivity because it will be connected to the PC, so I don't need that functionality per se, but it is a nice feature nevertheless. I can get the Marantz, Onkyo and the Yamaha for similar prices, so that wouldn't be a dealbreaker. Anyone heard the stereo performance of the Onkyo in comparison to the Yamaha or Marantz?

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

Thor, did you buy your set? What did you choose?

I bought a Yamaha RX-V771 last month, and am looking for speakers. I tried both Monitor Audio BX2 and Boston Acoustics A26 and liked the BAs better (see my post in http://www.whathifi.com/review/boston-acoustics-a26/user-reviews)

Currently they're out of stock where I live and I'm looking for an alternative. Has anyone got a recommendation?

Thanks,

XSnPX

May 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I opted for the 609 last month with the KEF Q500 fronts, Q200 centre and Q100 rears. The amp is really good with the speakers and I sampled both the Onkyo and Yamaha, and for me the Onlyo won the battle for films hands down, and handled stereo music very well, the yamaha had a softer approach to stereo music but the onlyo handles power better and I bi-amped the speakers last week and it just sounds amazing now...

Ben

TRENDING THREADS