Now officially an Audiophileistine

Samd

Sold my CA CXA80 and now using Oppo for CDs/CXN both into Denon AVR for stereo. Loving the sound, seems the Denon really improves it over the CA (better match) with the added advantage of just a touch of sub woofer.

Question is two-fold please.

1. Would going up a model (or 2) in the Denon series improve even further?

2. Is the audyssey 32 which is a better version worth the upgrade just for that alone?

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Does a splendid job in my less than optimal room. But it mainly comes in when correcting the sub woofers. Especially two of them. I have not experienced audessey without 32, so I don't know how it sounds. But generally, the higher models have better dacs. But if you are using the dac in your oppo, then you are only paying for better room correction and slightly better amplification by upgrading in my opinion.

Samd

newlash09 said:
Does a splendid job in my less than optimal room. But it mainly comes in when correcting the sub woofers. Especially two of them. I have not experienced audessey without 32, so I don't know how it sounds. But generally, the higher models have better dacs. But if you are using the dac in your oppo, then you are only paying for better room correction and slightly better amplification by upgrading in my opinion.

Useful info on the Audyssey but perhaps I was not very clear in my first post. I'm using the Oppo obviously for BD but only rarely for CDs in that most music is through CXN to Denon. Given, therefore, that I am rarely using the Oppo dac does that alter your opinion please?

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
If you are using the cxn as transport and using the dac in the denon, then maybe you try the dac in the oppo and see if it really is enough for you. The oppo is considered to have a beautiful sounding dac. The higher denon models will come with a better dac, and better room correction, but it is for you decide if the outlay is worth the added improvements. I know my advise hasn't been very useful. But an audition at home with a higher denon model is the only way to find out. Or try out the marantz sr6011 in your room if you can. I have one and am very happy with its performance. And yes I use its inbuilt dac too.

Samd

...some useful comments again. Oppo as DAC for CXN is a connection issue though. CXN digital output is coax or optical, neither of which are inputs on the Oppo. As you said - demo is the next step.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts