Novice needs help!! seperate equalizer or not?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Im looking to buy a new hifi setup and have been looking around for the best Amp/Speaker combo I can buy with the money I have. So far im swaying towards a Roksan Kandy M3 amp and B&W 685 standmounts, as its my first delve into the high quality hifi world I need some advice.

Music tastes: Punk, Rock, Metal-

Firstly I noticed the Roksan amp (and several other models) does not have tone controls to adjust the equalizer settings. Im guessing this kind of equipment does this kind of thing for you but I do use the ones on my Marantz PM quite alot. Therefore im wondering if I would need to buy a seperate equalizer to go with it, which would put the amp out of my price range. The stereo shops around here don't stock the Roksan so i cant hear it for myself and would like any info on how it sounds and if it will be good without the need of an equalizer.

Secondly the amp has only two speaker terminals per input so would biwirng of the B&W speakers be possible?

Finally in some magazines the Roksan is described as a power amp. I understand some people use a pre amp with a power amp but have no idea what the two terms mean.

Any comments about experiences with either the speaker or amp would be useful, plus any suggestions about possible alternatives which may suit my mucial tastes better, cheers!

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hello, firstly do not buy a graphic equaliser, a lot of amps do away with tone controls, no need to add what isn't there but if you must have them then maybe a different amp is what you need, a Rotel RA 04 or 05 with B&W speakers would be a nice combination as for biwiring you can join the ends together at the amp end, your dealer can advise on this. The Roksan can be used as a pre amp with a suitable power amp but is first and foremost an integrated with the pre power sections split inside. It is a nice amp being plenty powerful winning numerous awards over the years. By the way what source are you going to use, cd or turntable and which brand as this will influence the sound.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Guysock:

Finally in some magazines the Roksan is described as a power amp. I understand some people use a pre amp with a power amp but have no idea what the two terms mean.

There are roughly three types of Amplifiers - Integrated, Pre-amp and Power-amp.

A Pre-amp (sometimes more helpfully called a control amp) allows you to adjust the volume, and choose which input you want to listen to. It also ensures that a uniform volume across all inputs (where a turntable might need a higher level of amplification than a CD for instance) is presented to the Power-amp.

The Power-amp takes the uniform output from the pre-amp and amplifies it to a level that can drive speakers.

An integrated amp (such as the Rotel RA04 mentioned above) combines a pre-amp and power amp into one box for simplicity and lower cost.

I've got both in separate systems - a rotel integrated in my 2nd system and a Naim Pre & Power combo in my main system. Generally, pre/powers offer better sound quality, but at an increased cost.

However, for the equaliser question, I wouldn't. There is a lot of electronics in any equaliser which get in the way of the signal and therefore reduce the sound quality for the dubious benefit of maybe a little more bass or treble. If you need better bass, a change of speakers (or even moving your current speakers nearer a back or side wall) may make the difference you need.

Hope this helps...

A

Anonymous

What is your price range?

Monitor Audio love rock music I can tell you that, see if you can find some cheap Gold Signature/Reference floostanders. I've seen my speakers, the GR20's going for around 5-600 on ebay. Couple that with a powerful amplifier (I'd reccomend an audiolab 8000Q pre + 8000P power) and you've got a stereo that will GRIND those guitars out.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for clearing up the pre/ power amp distinction for me, I think im going to have to try the Roksan before i buy it even if it does mean a bit of travelling to find a shop.

I have looked at the monitor audio silver 6 but have been surprised to read a few negative reviews about them. I arrived at the B & W's from advice on another forum. I havent ever heard of the Audiolab amps, would you reccomend definately buying the pre/power combo or do they also do an integrated version? I have a budget of £500 for an amp and £400 for a set of speakers.

So is the Roksan Kandy ML3 a power/pre or integrated amplifier? its strange that when i look at various reviews across sites the description of the amp changes.

Have to say im tempted by Poletski's reccomendation as a combo to 'grind' those guitars out is definately what im after but with a higher quality sound then what i already have, which sounds atrificial with bass which rumbles as opposed to actually sounding like a bass guitar/drum or whatever.

My current cd player is a technics SLPD8, im considering upgrading to one of the arcam range as a final installment to my upgrade. Im surprised to hear the player itself can make a big difference to the overall sound, what would anyone reccomend for the type of music i like?

A

Anonymous

"Have to say im tempted by Poletski's reccomendation as a combo to 'grind' those guitars out is definately what im after but with a higher quality sound then what i already have, which sounds atrificial with bass which rumbles as opposed to actually sounding like a bass guitar/drum or whatever."

Audiolab do the 8000A and the 8000S integrated but you're better off with the separates: Especially when they go on ebay likes this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audiolab-8000p-Power-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ200238618585QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200238618585 you'd need an 8000Q or 8000C with that, 8000Q is the upgraded model with a remote etc. You'd probably got the 8000C for a similar price.

Sadly, you'd be very lucky to find a pair of Gold Reference 20's at the £400 mark. As you go lower in the range of Monitor Audio they do tend to become bright sounding, that does go well with the neutral audiolab if you ask me, but it depends on your taste.

Definitely check out the second hand market though.

A

Anonymous

Get this ---> What Hi-Fi Mid range system recommendation :

Roksan Kandy LIII Integrated Amplifier + Rega Apollo CD Player + B&W 685 Speakers.

Make sure you get decent stands + cables, and you're done. Also, equalizers are things of the past!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts