Question Notched Volume Knobs on Amps like the Sansui AU-217 II

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
When I was growing up, my Dad used to have this great punchy little Sansui amp in the living room, I believe it was a Sansui AU-217 II, or one of the very similar models.

Anyway, it had this rather wonderful "feeling" volume knob that was slightly notched, meaning it would almost click slightly when you turned it.

As an adult myself now, I'm looking to pickup a new amplifier, and I was wondering if any manufacturers make volume knobs like this anymore?

Are there any brands that make them like this still? Or is this a thing of the past?

If anyone knows of any modern or vintage amps that are easy to get hold of that feature volume knobs like this, I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks for entertaining my nostalgia. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 11.09.53 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 11.09.53 pm.png
    726.5 KB · Views: 4

aversaurus

Hi I'm a massive fan of sansui .all of there models are readily available on eBay .I have owned the 217 in the past and there almost bullet proof .
If your looking at getting a sansui and need any advice let me know

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi I'm a massive fan of sansui .all of there models are readily available on eBay .I have owned the 217 in the past and there almost bullet proof .
If your looking at getting a sansui and need any advice let me know

Thanks, I was more questioning the availability or design of the style of volume knob that amp had. Can you confirm if other amps used it or if some brands still use that style of knob?

I think you might need to find a few dealers who will let you fiddle with their knobs! I don’t recall ever seeing it in a spec sheet.

My Primare volume knob has that slight ident feel, yet it is the modern digital type which gives a readout up to 99. I think the Sansui was a regular potentiometer with the notches to make it feel like the far more expensive designs which had a discrete circuit for each step, of ten calibrate in dB..

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
I think you might need to find a few dealers who will let you fiddle with their knobs! I don’t recall ever seeing it in a spec sheet.

My Primare volume knob has that slight ident feel, yet it is the modern digital type which gives a readout up to 99. I think the Sansui was a regular potentiometer with the notches to make it feel like the far more expensive designs which had a discrete circuit for each step, of ten calibrate in dB..

Can i ask what Primare model you have?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts