Not much has changed then?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Winter around the corner, short days, long nights . . . relaxing listening to som music, magic.

The real thing for me is that I have weaned myself of the audiphile approach to music. I have still been listening but I cant remember the last time I played a vinyl disk. I listen to spotify, enjoy the choice, some is very good quality too, I have the choice, carry on listening for nostalgias sake, choose something else or sit quietly and relax thinking about my gliders and my next build?

Plenty of gliding competitions this summer, best place, 5th in Open class, thats up to 4m wingspan. Also achived an altitude personal best of 717m, believe me, you cant see much of the 4m wing span at that height, average hights are normaly in the reagon of 200-250m.

So I have nothing to add to the forum other than, I am getting all the pleasure of my music without the agravation of trying to get more and chasing my tail, cheap too. Curently listening to an old recording by 'Jo Staford, Jo + Jazz' great music. Spelling not improved much either . . . . *smile*

CJSF

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Things have probably got worse. The forum itself is hopeless and interesting threads are few and far between....it's good to see you, though.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Good to see you back, though it saddens me your post reads somewhat like an adieu. Hope you had a great time with the gliders. How's the Horlicks?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
As I said Cno, 'things have not changed much' but its good to see the old faithfuls, I trust you are all well?

I think the changes I have made to my personal and music life are good for me. I found chasing my tait was very frustrating and at times confusing. I have moved my 'must do focus' to my gliders, an unachivable goal but I seem to cope better, practise brings its rewards.

Musicaly, we are listening to what we like for its own sake, not the scratches and pops, of which there are plenty. That is the Royal 'we' by the way, Hazel is enjoying the music too. Horlicks is not so much these days the 2 and 3am sessions are few now, age and health catching up.

With winter almost upon us, I have the incling to get the TT re fettled, belt and arm fixing need attention, and dig out some old favourites. It will be interesting to hear how they sound compared with the Spotify versions I have been listening to.

A positive that has come from my change in the way I do things. Over the summer a couple of valves went down, rather than buy new and worry about which ones, I simply went into my used stock and replaced them, not always with a brand match. The amplifier IMHO sounds better for it . . . may be I'm dreaming that, perhaps, deep down I have not changed?

CJSF

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Nice to see you around
thumbs_up.gif
Naturally, as this is a Hi-Fi forum, we all tend to focus on the equipment, but ultimately it should be about the music. The search for perfection is ultimately fruitless, in my view. Of course, having nice 'gear' can be rewarding, but at some point a line needs to be drawn. Last year I spent around £3,000 putting together a system utilising my old Rega Planar 3. At some point I'll want a new turntable, but that'll be it for me, after all, there are other things in life *smile*

Freddy58 said:
Nice to see you around Naturally, as this is a Hi-Fi forum, we all tend to focus on the equipment, but ultimately it should be about the music. The search for perfection is ultimately fruitless, in my view. Of course, having nice 'gear' can be rewarding, but at some point a line needs to be drawn. Last year I spent around £3,000 putting together a system utilising my old Rega Planar 3. At some point I'll want a new turntable, but that'll be it for me, after all, there are other things in life *smile*

Quite true but these days the wine, women, and dance have gone out the window and we're into wife / daughter / dogs support mode. They do allow me the odd CD / LP though. :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
Not much has changed then?

Hello CJ.

It's been quiet in the last year. Five operations, a total of 26 nights in hospital and about three months off work at various times since last November.

They are fickle these consultants. After almost a year of fun together, one of them told me last month that they needn't see me again.

What larks eh? :)

So I bought a new system to celebrate (it's in the signature).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
It's been quiet in the last year. Five operations, a total of 26 nights in hospital and about three months off work at various times since last November.

They are fickle these consultants. After almost a year of fun together, one of them told me last month that they needn't see me again.

What larks eh?  :)

So I bought a new system to celebrate (it's in the signature).
...and I thought I had a rough year. Hope things have settled now and you are continuing to enjoy your new toy.

I found buying hifi when ill, worked wonders....it's probably a placebo though.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
...and I thought I had a rough year.

I remember you writing about it. Oddly enough you probably had a lot more pain than I experienced. Hopefully everything is ok with you too and we can each raise a two litre bottle of water to one another!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
...and we can each raise a two litre bottle of water to one another!
...just before we go for another Pee!

Are we at that age where we just start falling apart?...50% chance of growing another one in the next 5 years!!

Anyway, I'm better than I've been for a few years, which is more to do with the Back Op.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
...50% chance of growing another one in the next 5 years!!

I'm carefully watching those oxalates in my diet and I am losing weight again. No chocs or biscuits or cakes. I hardly ever drank alcohol before and i've eliminated it entirely now. I've not gone back on the cigarettes, so that's 11 months off them to date. (Still no cravings and still enjoying the savings.)

I am sticking to my 2 -3 litres of water a day (without fail for 11 months so far) with only the additions of one small Costa Americano coffee per day and one of my lemon/pure apple juice/sparkling water 'cocktails' every afternoon with a couple of easy peel oranges. It's given me the excuse I needed to give up tea. (I only drank tea from habit and never really enjoyed it.)

I can't give up sugar in drinks (and on cereals) because I gave it up 20 years ago luckily. I'm pretty disciplined once started so I hope (like the sugar and fags) my new 'oxalate aware' and reduced crap habits will become permanent.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
CnoEvil said:
...50% chance of growing another one in the next 5 years!!

I'm carefully watching those oxalates in my diet and I am losing weight again. No chocs or biscuits or cakes. I hardly ever drank alcohol before and i've eliminated it entirely now. I've not gone back on the cigarettes, so that's 11 months off them to date. (Still no cravings and still enjoying the savings.)

I am sticking to my 2 -3 litres of water a day (without fail for 11 months so far) with only one small Costa Americano coffee per day and one of my lemon/pure apple juice/sparkling water 'cocktails' every afternoon with a couple of easy peel oranges. It's given me the excuse I needed to give up tea. (I only drank tea from habit and never really enjoyed it.)

I can't give up sugar in drinks (and on cereals) because I gave it up 20 years ago luckily. I'm pretty disciplined once started so I hope (like the sugar and fags) my new 'oxalate aware' and reduced crap habits will become permanent.
I'm not as disciplined as that...but I was told that as a "stone maker", you are likely to get them no matter what you do...which is a bit disheartening. This was my second stone in about 6 years.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Things have probably got worse. The forum itself is hopeless and interesting threads are few and far between....it's good to see you, though.

Actually, apart from forum functionality, things here seem OK to me. We don't seem to see so many offensive posts and controversy. There will always be "What speakers do I need?" and the normal response "Go and audition for yourself" (nothing wrong with that, btw). It's just the nature of forums that subjects go round and round.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Actually, apart from forum functionality, things here seem OK to me. We don't seem to see so many offensive posts and controversy. There will always be "What speakers do I need?" and the normal response "Go and audition for yourself" (nothing wrong with that, btw). It's just the nature of forums that subjects go round and round.
I want better than OK. We used to have members like Neuphonix, Roby, Wishtree, Thaiman, Nopiano, Acalex, Gregvet and Clinton333, who kept life interesting on here.

CnoEvil said:
Freddy58 said:
I want better than OK. We used to have members like Neuphonix, Roby, Wishtree, Thaiman, Nopiano, Acalex, Gregvet and Clinton333, who kept life interesting on here.

Likewise, in relation to a recent post of mine, there are certain members that shouldn't be on here, which perhaps explains the lack of recent postings from some in your list.

TRENDING THREADS