Not Always The Expensive is Better

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
what is it about the sound of ProAc speakers you dn't like.

The tendency to hide major details in the rendering, a little bit like ironing the result, and eating up some finesses in the music. And a tendency to be very costly if you research a good sound quality. The better the ProAc speaker you get your hand on is, the less he does this, and the closer it become to a well performing speaker. But the D18, for example, is really a low-fi speaker with great finish.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
Native_bon said:

The tendency to hide major details in the rendering, a little bit like ironing the result, and eating up some finesses in the music. And a tendency to be very costly if you research a good sound quality. The better the ProAc speaker you get your hand on is, the less he does this, and the closer it become to a well performing speaker. But the D18, for example, is really a low-fi speaker with great finish.
Ok thanx for the info.. I have never listened to ProAC speakers, but like you say they really look easy on the eye.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Native_bon said:
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
Native_bon said:

Ok thanx for the info.. I have never listened to ProAC speakers, but like you say they really look easy on the eye.

To my ears, the D18 is a great sounding speaker, very easy to drive and effortlessly engaging. I used a pair some years ago with a Valve Amp.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Blind listening tests are an interesting thing.

eg. http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

I tend to spend a lot of time (and money!) on wine and the same debate rages. Whether a £100 bottle is really so much better than a £10 bottle, etc. Blind tasting here is supposedly the ultimate arbiter. However, those that can't appreciate the difference when tasting blind still insist on spending the extra money and "drink the label". Psychology being what it is, maybe it's just as valid - if (having seen the label) you find a £100 wine to be awesome, then who's to say it isn't worth £100?! It takes a great degree of self-control/self-delusion NOT to be seduced by these things, sometimes....

Having said that, there are plenty of people who CAN taste the difference (and bear in mind that a £100 bottle of wine may have to be left to mature until it can show its potential) and perhaps the same is true of HiFi. Blessed are those that can't tell, as they'll have leftover cash to spend on.... wine?

music 24

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
music 24 said:
Interesting Compare Between Storm Audio V55 & Mcintosh MA6700 both integrated amp.
Connected to Speakers Proac D40r

After listening Them
My conclusion
The MA6700 Sounds boomy it's Like The Boxes of Speakers in The Room Compared to V55 I Felt Like in Concert Hall Sounds More 3D ..Sound More Floats.
Of course The Quality of Construction on Mmcintosh Just Excellent & The Amp Looks Good.
Choose By More big More Fatty Amps Like Refrigerator It's Your Problem,
MA6700 Also Expensive Twice....
Again Not Always The Expensive is Better & Not Always The Amp Must to Be Same or Higher Price Like Speakers.

Best Review it's Listening in Your Ears.
Share Your Experience
Anybody Compared Between Storm Audio V55 & Hegel h360?

music 24

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Interesting Compare Between Storm Audio V55 & Mcintosh MA6700 both integrated amp.
Connected to Speakers Proac D40r

After listening Them
My conclusion
The MA6700 Sounds boomy it's Like The Boxes of Speakers in The Room Compared to V55 I Felt Like in Concert Hall Sounds More 3D ..Sound More Floats.
Of course The Quality of Construction on Mmcintosh Just Excellent & The Amp Looks Good.
Choose By More big More Fatty Amps Like Refrigerator It's Your Problem,
MA6700 Also Expensive Twice....
Again Not Always The Expensive is Better & Not Always The Amp Must to Be Same or Higher Price Like Speakers.

Best Review it's Listening in Your Ears.
Share Your Experience

music 24 said:
music 24 said:
Interesting Compare Between Storm Audio V55 & Mcintosh MA6700 both integrated amp. Connected to Speakers Proac D40r

After listening Them My conclusion The MA6700 Sounds boomy it's Like The Boxes of Speakers in The Room Compared to V55 I Felt Like in Concert Hall Sounds More 3D ..Sound More Floats. Of course The Quality of Construction on Mmcintosh Just Excellent & The Amp Looks Good. Choose By More big More Fatty Amps Like Refrigerator It's Your Problem, MA6700 Also Expensive Twice.... Again Not Always The Expensive is Better & Not Always The Amp Must to Be Same or Higher Price Like Speakers.

Best Review it's Listening in Your Ears. Share Your Experience
Anybody Compared Between Storm Audio V55 & Hegel h360?

I very much doubt it, and if they have its not really going to help you.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Expensive hifi can sound fantastic or it can sound sh(rhymes with kite).

You've been in American for 10 minutes and already you can't pronounce your words. It rhymes with grit, not kite. For goodness sake man, try and maintain some dignity.*biggrin*

'Shite' is predominantly regional (Scottish and Irish) according to the online OED ...

http://www.oed.com/viewdictionaryentry/Entry/315303

... It's also commonly used by English, Australians and New Zealanders.

If probably ended up in the USA (and Australia etc.) along with the millions of Scots and Irish who emigrated there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts