Noob speaker cable connection problem.

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Just bought some new speakers. The speakers have biwire option but i will single wire. Plus and minus high frequency and plus and minus low frequency. The 4 terminals on each speaker had those plastic plugs in them you have to remove before connecting cable with banana plugs to the speakers.

When i removed the plastic plugs, one of them broke and did not quite come out of the terminal. It was right speaker and the minus terminal on the high frequency, all the other plugs was removed. Some of the plastic is still in there, so the banana cant quite come all the way in.

The question i have is, does it matter soundwise, if i use the plus and minus on the low frequency on the right speaker and plus and minus on the high frequency on the left speaker? I have heard somewhere that it is best to use the high frequency plus and minus?

Regards Christian

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Chr78 said:
Just bought some new speakers. The speakers have biwire option but i will single wire. Plus and minus high frequency and plus and minus low frequency. The 4 terminals on each speaker had those plastic plugs in them you have to remove before connecting cable with banana plugs to the speakers.

When i removed the plastic plugs, one of them broke and did not quite come out of the terminal. It was right speaker and the minus terminal on the high frequency, all the other plugs was removed. Some of the plastic is still in there, so the banana cant quite come all the way in.

The question i have is, does it matter soundwise, if i use the plus and minus on the low frequency on the right speaker and plus and minus on the high frequency on the left speaker? I have heard somewhere that it is best to use the high frequency plus and minus?

Regards Christian

You can use either, I have heard using the high frequencies is better but I have not tries myself. Make sure the jumpers are in between the high and low.

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, what do you mean are in between the high and low? Can i not use plus and minus low frq on one of the speakers? i mean the one where the plastic plug got stuck in the high frequency minus terminal?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Chr78 said:
Hmm, what do you mean are in between the high and low? Can i not use plus and minus low frq on one of the speakers? i mean the one where the plastic plug got stuck in the high frequency minus terminal?

If you're only single wiring the high+ and low+ need to be connected together, as do the high- and low-. Do you have anything currently connecting the terminals together in that way? If not, what sort of speakers are they and where did you get them from?

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
The speakers are elac bs244, and yes the highs and lows are connected via this metal thing. But as stated before, the plastic plug in one of the terminals broke, so i cant use that one. What to do..

The_Lhc said:
Chr78 said:

If you're only single wiring the high+ and low+ need to be connected together, as do the high- and low-. Do you have anything currently connecting the terminals together in that way? If not, what sort of speakers are they and where did you get them from?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Chr78 said:
The speakers are elac bs244, and yes the highs and lows are connected via this metal thing. But as stated before, the plastic plug in one of the terminals broke, so i cant use that one. What to do..

The_Lhc said:
Chr78 said:

Find a screw that freely fits inside the speaker terminal and will "bite" in to the plug that is stuck. Turn the screw and extract the offending plastic plug. Then use terminals as you see fit.

Gazzip said:
Chr78 said:

The_Lhc said:
Chr78 said:

Find a screw that freely fits inside the speaker terminal and will "bite" in to the plug that is stuck. Turn the screw and extract the offending plastic plug. Then use terminals as you see fit.

If the terminals are connected by those metal jumpers then you only need to connect one of the + terminals and one of the - terminals, it doesn't matter which, so you should be able to bypass the one that has the bit of plastic still in it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts