No Freeview signal for BBC1 and BBC2

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Slightly off topic, as this is terrestial, but I have lost most of my Freeview channels, including both from BBC. We receive from Sutton Coldfield transmitter.

Anybody any ideas why ?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Nothing wrong here either (go to the 'planned engineering work by region' tab and expand 'central')

(Although known transmitter problems take a while to filter through.)

You could try this BBC number (03700 100 123) but - given that you have also lost non BBC channels - this will be a fault at the transmitter and the BBC don't run or maintain these. They may be able to report it for you though.

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Yes, tried retuning on both manual and auto, several times, same result. Lost most of the channels, including both BBC. Seeeems weird to me !

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Have you checked your aerial? Has it moved or water entered the coax cable? Has the cat/dog chewed the coax inside the house?

If the aerial is ok then perhaps the tuner is faulty.

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Retuned several times, both auto and manual, always with same results. The channels that we do receive are normal good quality, and the only problem is that many channels are missing.

The analogue signal from the same aerial appers to be unaffected.

Maybe it is the tuner that has gone (for some channels only), but it's a relatively new Panny so while that's possible it's unlikely.

Weird !

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately not. I only have one piece of digital equipment - a small television - all the rest is analogue, and all of which appears to be working OK

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
OK, I've narrowed the problem a bit.

I've remade all the connections at the TV aerial, and checked for good connections through to the TV. I've also scanned the TV channels list I am receiving (Channels 44 and 47 only) and see that the main missing channels are all on Mux 1 - in fact I'm not receiving any signals on Mux 1.

I then removed the aerial and did an auto retune to wipe the momory, then power off for 5 minutes. Then power on and auto retune, but still no channels from Mux 1.

All analogue signals appear to be unaffected.

Anybody any ideas, or do I need to buy a cheap digital set top box to check what the aerial can actually see?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Do you have a roof aerial that is optimised for Digital Terrestrial?

If not, it really helps to get that sorted. I struggled for a while with 'marginal' Freeview reception a few years ago. (Top notch Sony set-top at the time).

Muxes would drop in then out again for periods of time and I was getting around 60 percent signal strength with the old aerial. (It's 'cliff edge' stuff. Digital is either all or nothing.)

As soon as the new aerial was installed, every single channel immediately went to either 95 or 100 percent signal strength and nothing has failed ever since.

fizban_UK

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
If you read this thread;

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1209161324/8

It seems that MUX 1 problems are not uncommon on the Sutton Coldfield transmitter.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
fizban_UK:If you read this thread;
http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1209161324/8

It seems that MUX 1 problems are not uncommon on the Sutton Coldfield transmitter.

That was a two-years old thread for just one person having a problem with one TV. (His daughter's TV and set-top box in the same house was absolutely fine.)

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
OK, now I know it's not the TV, as the Mux 1 signal came back on this evening (after dark) for a while, but was cliff edge stuff and occasionally dropped out altogether. So now I know that it's either a transmission or an aerial or other reception problem.

Also, I did notice that on a big Horse Chestnut tree directly in the line of sight between the aerial and the SC transmitter the leaves have all changed colour - maybe this has increased the attenuation to the point where all Mux 1 signals are borderline or blocked, but somehow allow other frequencies to pass ?

FWIW, my problems closely replicate those detailed at the URL given by fizban_UK.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts