No Digital Audio Via My New TV......

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I've recently upgraded my TV to a Sony KDL46Z4500. I've stuck with my Pioneer VSX-D2011 amp, which is getting a bit old now - especially as it doesn't have any HDMI inputs, and is limited to only two digital optical inputs. I've got three devices I want to run into the amp - my V+ set-top box, an Xbox360 and a PS3.

I thought I'd got around my lack of connectivity options - I could run both the V+ box and the PS3 via HDMI into the TV, then use the optical digital out of the tv to plug into one of my two optical inputs on the amp. The Xbox could use the other (its one of the original units so doesn't have HDMI, just component).

That works OK insofar as I get audio - but seemingly only stereo. The amp does indicate it is getting a digital signal feed, but I only have options for Dolby Pro Logic, not the Dolby Digital or DTS I should be getting. I've checked settings on both the PS3 and the V+ box and all would seem to be OK. If I use the optical out on the PS3 to plug directly in to the amp it all works great and I do get proper digital audio. Which would seem to suggest it's something going wrong between the TV and the amp......

I'll confess, I'm using a pretty cheap HDMI cable for the connection between the PS3 and the TV so I'd be content if this is the problem as it's easily fixed. I'd certainly feel happier in ordering some more expensive cables if someone could confirm that this might be the root cause.

If not, does anyone else have any ideas on what could be causing the issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Messiah

The TV will only output stereo.
emotion-6.gif

Nothing wrong with your cables. But you'll need to connect them directly to get the 5.1.

A

Anonymous

Yes, you might as well connect the 2 devices with the most 5.1 sound directly via optical, and the other one via stereo audio connectors from either your TV or directly from the device.

Messiah

Maybe you should connect the PS3 and the Xbox directly as there is limited 5.1 stuff on Virgin. (Although I suppose it depends on how much you use the consoles in comparison). Also the amp has an optical input at the front so whilst this may be a bit unsightly it may be worth utilising for the odd 5.1 soundtrack on Virgin....

A

Anonymous

You could always get an Optical-Coaxial converter from Ebay for £10, i've got one and they work fine.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for the responses - I'll start investigating optical switches to give me some more ports.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts