no audio through amp from turntable

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hiya, I wonder if anyone can assist.

I have a Rotel 930-AX amp and have a problem with the turntable (Systemdek IIx/900) or the amp.

The amp works fine with tuner/tape/CD but I am not getting any audio from the turntable. I was wondering if there is a simple way to test the phono pre-amp in the Rotel amp?

thanks in advance

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
hello,if i remember rightly thats quite an old amp so dust could be the cause.a friend of mine who used to service amplifiers passed on a bit of advice that works a treat and it's simple to carry out. undo the casing blow out the dust,if you have one of those air dusters even better,replace case then try if that fails spray a little wd40 on the offending input wipe of the excess then try again.i buy a lot of old amplifiers and can attest to this procedure,in fact only yesterday my nieces amp had that same problem.not any more.do make sure the amp is unplugged.good luck,gregory.

A

Anonymous

I must have a bad memory, but does that Rotel have a phono stage? I thought mine was line level only, or am I getting it confused with another model? If it does, is it MM and MC, if so maybe the MC button is pressed in instead of the MM?

A

Anonymous

The background noise is usually much higher on a turntable input. Try listening for that. if there's no difference briefly try putting another source into the sockets but keep the volume well down. The sound should be bassy, loud and distorted if the input is working correctly.

Another possiblity is a muting switch fault in the turntable, but I can't recall whether that particular one has one or not. If you have a multimeter see if there's a short on the turntable outputs.

A

Anonymous

thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I'll follow up accordingly.

Silly - for reference the amp does have a phono input but no MM/MC input select.

thanks again

A

Anonymous

Thanks...I remember it was the 920AX I had, but only for a week till I sold it on, so I don't remember all to well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts