Nice Hi-Fi system for a present up to 1500 USD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Salute, everybody!

I have been studying hi fi forums and magazines for weeks to decide which system I can get for 1500 USD. The system is a present for my relative, who is a musician. So the task is really tough and the budget is limited. I know that the best way to choose is to listen, but the problem is that I don't have a good ear. Besides, taking into account that it is a present I don't trust my opinion as I'm not an expert. To make it short I need the best system for jazz, piano and symphonic music I can get for the price mentioned.

I was thinking of the Marantz Cd6003/ Marantz PM6003 or Yamaha AS-500/ Monitor Audio Bronze BX2. All these are 5-star peaces of gear at "what hi fi", but there are plenty of others highly rated components. And even if this combination if perfect for 1500 USD which amplifier should I choose for jazz, piano and symphonic music? Is Yamaha AS-500 really so ahead of everything in this price category? Do all those components really sound great together?

And if it's not too much trouble for may be you'll be able to recommend the cables for the system you believe is the best.

Sorry for lots of questions but I do really need an expert opinion here. And sorry for my English. I'm from Ukraine so I can't be completely sure that it is flawless.

Have a nice day and thank for Your help!

A

Anonymous

How about a couple of alternatives? Cambridge Audio Azur 350A ($450) amp and Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 ($350) speakers, its not always about pairing 5 star components. I know that the Cambridge it better built than the Yamaha, likewise the Wharfedales. I can vouch for the Diamonds though, they have a refined treble and midrange that are incredible.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
As well as any other suggestions, you might like to consider a cheap Valve amp from the likes of Icon Audio (Stereo 20 PP). With this you will need relatively sensitive speakers like Rega RS1; Monitor Audio BX2 or from the Audio Note AX or AZ range.

IMO. This will sound better for the type of music that you mentioned above.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for Your suggestion. I've thought about the chep valve amp. Can you tell me whether it needs more sophisticated service (e.g. lamp change) in comparison with the integrated amp or not? Ad unfortunately I couldn't find the model and the brand You've nemd in Ukraine. What can You say about the Proshine Sweet Peach or Dared brand?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Valves need replaced from time to time, and the shop you buy it off will give advice on this. I have come across Dared (which should be OK, and is a cost effective solution) but not Proshine.

A

Anonymous

I've checked the Hi-Fi stores in Ukraine and it turned out that I even don't have an opportunity to listen to the systems I'm interested in. Due to the ustable economical situation and undeveloped hi-fi market in Ukraine almost everything in the stores has to be preordered. There's a wide variety of components in internet shops but no chance to listen to. That's why I'm limited to your recommendations only. So Your advices are welcomed very much!

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Spectre. A very-very interesting recommendation! I've checked out the information about the Cambridge Audio Azur and it turned out to be a nice system for calm and non-agressive music, which is just what I need. I have an opportunity to splash a little more cash and get a Cambridge Audio Azur 550 combo instead of 350. The price difference for the combo here in Ukraine is 400 USD. Will it be sensible? Perhaps it will be better to get more expensive speakers? Th budget is still limited so the main priority is sound quality and not some design features or brand name.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Without trying to disparage the suggestion from anyone else, I would say that Cambridge Audio is a love/hate brand, and as such would be risky to buy for someone else, unless they heard it first.

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
If I was buying for someone as a present I would buy the Marantz mcr 603 and some Monitor Audio bx2 or perhaps bx5 speakers.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey, Marantz don't know how to make a bad CD player, so you're sweet there; Amps - given the music you like, I'd play conservative and go for NAD. Their amps are all musical, and to these jaded ears do especially well with classical and jazz. Speakers - I'm a bit flummoxed here. I don't like the Monitor Audio sound, but apparently that's a minority view. Heard some Wharfedales recently which I thought weren't half bad, but, to be honest, with classical I'd be blowing your budget to smithereens with Harbeth - maybe an o)ption for the future? If you can get German speakers then Canton and Elac are well worth a thought; They're a touch dry, but really well balanced.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
It would be interesting for us to find out more about the person's tastes you are buying for if we are to make some good recommendations for you. For example, their age group, and what they expect from their music - casual or serious listening. You mention that they are a musician (what type? classical?), so perhaps they have a good ear. And do you know what their existing music system is and/or if they have a large collection of music already, perhaps as CDs? Do they like to listen via headphones or speakers? Could they use a digital/streamer type system if perhaps they wanted to listen to some higher resolution digital classical music in the near future? Is the physical size / colour of the system important? Would they like to connect their portable music player if they have one ... for example an iPod? Also, don't forget to budget for some accessories (cables etc.) and maybe some music if you have anything left over :)

A

Anonymous

Thank You for the questions. I believe You are right and this info will be useful. So, this is a present for my father-in-law, who will turn 50 in a month. This will be his first hi-fi system. He is a composer by profession, but had to go into business to secure his family's future. Still he loves the music very much - it is his passion. I think being very busy he wouldn't be able to listen to it for hours, but I'd like him to have an opportunity to relax and enjoy his favorite music in good quality. Also because of his busyness I don't think that he will go into changing system components in the next 5 or even more years.

He and his wife (who's a pianist) do have really good ear, but they are not used to listening to hi fi sound. My father-in-law usually listens music in car (I wouldn't like the idea of buying a car hi-fi system as he is going to buy a new car soon). He does have some CDs, but most of his music is on HDD. So, the USD connection is pereferable. The ability to play higher resolution music will be a plus. No iPod station or some other special features are needed. The size and looks doesn't really matter. The sound is a priority. And of course I'd like to buy new cables for the system as I understand how important it is - I have an opportunity to spend extra 200 USD for them. Cable brand cand type recommendations will be also very useful for me.

The music - Norah Jones, Oscar Peterson, Miles Davies, Beethoven piano concerts (vocals, piano and saxophone mostly)

I have just had an idea of Marantz MCR 603 and DALI Lektor II. May be somebody has an experience od using this combo for jazz and classical music?

Thank You very much for your interest and recommendations.

A

Anonymous

Sorry, your reply just slipped my memory. Do you think that mcr 603 and BX2 will ba a nice system for jazz and classical music? Which cables can You recommend? Thank You!

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
And for cables, buy cheapest gold plated interconnects. Preferably short ones that are only just long enogh to reach. Cost $5.

For speaker cables, any decently thick stranded copper cable will be fine. Things like the power cords from faulty old vacuum cleaners will sound fine. These will cost you $0. If you have or know someone with a soldering iron, you can tin the ends of the cables with a bit of silver solder to delay oxidisation.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
And for cables, buy cheapest gold plated interconnects. Preferably short ones that are only just long enogh to reach. Cost $5.

For speaker cables, any decently thick stranded copper cable will be fine. Things like the power cords from faulty old vacuum cleaners will sound fine. These will cost you $0. If you have or know someone with a soldering iron, you can tin the ends of the cables with a bit of silver solder to delay oxidisation.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
If size and looks really aren't important and sound quality for classical music is.

Then don't buy a new amp and speakers. Buy 2nd hand. You may want to buy a new DAC as good sounding ones are relatively inexpensive new.

I know that culturally buying 2nd hand might be a bit of a shock in the Ukraine, but that really is the way to go to get best sound quality for the money. You will get high end sound if you follow my advice.

Buy an extra hard disk for his computer for him to back-up all his music files including CD's that he copies to hard disk for $90.

Buy a good inexpensive DAC such as Musical Fidelity VDAC for $250 (maybe less if you find one 2nd hand). If he wants analog to digital conversion (ADC) too you could get an Audiosmile modded Behringer DAC / ADC for $400 new. Don't bother with a CD player. PC into DAC will sound fine.

Speakers. If he has a decent sized listening room:

Quad ESL 57's or 63's for about $900. Preferably ones that have been refurbished in the last few years.

Or go on German eBay and look out for speakers like Altec Model 19's, EV Sentry III's, Klipschorns. Fully working speakers with some cosmetic damage will be the best value for money if you or him can't do simple DIY (Do It Yourself) repairs.

For reliability and convenience go for decent solid state amplification such as an A&R A60 for $120 or Quad 303 or 405 with 34 pre-amp for $400.

For most natural midrange at the expense of a bit of bass grip (not so important for classical) go for valve amps. Push pull for Quad ESL's, SET for high efficiency horned speakers.

For speaker cables, any decently thick stranded copper cable will be fine. Things like the power cords from faulty old vacuum cleaners will sound fine. These will cost you $0. If you have (or know someone) with a soldering iron, you can tin the ends of the cables with a bit of silver solder to delay oxidisation.

How much import duty will you have to pay? And should we adjust your budget accordingly to take this into account?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
If size and looks really aren't important and sound quality for classical music is.

Then don't buy a new amp and speakers. Buy 2nd hand. You may want to buy a new DAC as good sounding ones are relatively inexpensive new.

I know that culturally buying 2nd hand might be a bit of a shock in the Ukraine, but that really is the way to go to get best sound quality for the money. You will get high end sound if you follow my advice.

Buy an extra hard disk for his computer for him to back-up all his music files including CD's that he copies to hard disk for $90.

Buy a good inexpensive DAC such as Musical Fidelity VDAC for $250 (maybe less if you find one 2nd hand). If he wants analog to digital conversion (ADC) too you could get an Audiosmile modded Behringer DAC / ADC for $400 new. Don't bother with a CD player. PC into DAC will sound fine.

Speakers. If he has a decent sized listening room:

Quad ESL 57's or 63's for about $900. Preferably ones that have been refurbished in the last few years.

Or go on German eBay and look out for speakers like Altec Model 19's, EV Sentry III's, Klipschorns. Fully working speakers with some cosmetic damage will be the best value for money if you or him can't do simple DIY (Do It Yourself) repairs.

For reliability and convenience go for decent solid state amplification such as an A&R A60 for $120 or Quad 303 or 405 with 34 pre-amp for $400.

For most natural midrange at the expense of a bit of bass grip (not so important for classical) go for valve amps. Push pull for Quad ESL's, SET for high efficiency horned speakers.

For speaker cables, any decently thick stranded copper cable will be fine. Things like the power cords from faulty old vacuum cleaners will sound fine. These will cost you $0. If you have (or know someone) with a soldering iron, you can tin the ends of the cables with a bit of silver solder to delay oxidisation.

How much import duty will you have to pay? And should we adjust your budget accordingly to take this into account?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The only thing that I can say that may help is that my Father was an amator conductor, my mother a trained singer and pianist, and their preference was for the sound produced by valves.

For leads I would go for straight forward copper ones:
S/C - Van Damme UP LC-OFC, Chord Silver Screen, Atlas Element
I/C - Van Damme, Linn Blacks off Ebay (£12-£15), Atlas Element, Wireword Luna 6

In case it comes into your price range, Rega products are always a good bet.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Krimgold said:
... He does have some CDs, but most of his music is on HDD. So, the USD connection is pereferable. The ability to play higher resolution music will be a plus.

.. does this mean you father in law uses a computer or external USB hard disk to play music? I think your own suggestion of the Marantz M-CR603 is as good as any and will allow USB use and future network/streaming if necessary. Maybe add some B&W685 speakers and you're good to go.

* I would read up on exactly what the USB input supports in terms of playback.

PS I have no experience of valve amps as other members of this forum have suggested ... if you surf the web you will find some valve amps that also have USB input and are in your price range.

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Krimgold said:
Sorry, your reply just slipped my memory. Do you think that mcr 603 and BX2 will ba a nice system for jazz and classical music? Which cables can You recommend? Thank You!

For the money I think this would be a cracking little system. The MA's are very sensitive for bookshelf speakers, making them easy for the marantz to drive.

Add in some budget chord cables and away you go.
dance.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts