Nice big, trad-looking standmounts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
I've heard the Ref 1's with the Dev 200 fed by a SME TT and wasn't impressed. - I thought the combination sounded a little 'dry'. They do look very nice though!
Ref 3s with Arcam A49 and Akurate DS was tight and controlled without tipping into dry (IMO)

I have read that Devialet works well with Kef's Blades (I think a member on here has this combination).

EDIT. I've just found your thoughts here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/kef-reference-thread?page=23

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Compared to the Harbeth 30.1, They are 2cm shorter, 7.2cm narrower, but 15.5cm deeper.

Given the type of sound you like, they would probably be worth a listen (if in budget)....I should know more after Thur.

Cno, this has helped me to realize the look I'm after. Where traditional box speakers are concerned, I really do prefer the look of boxes that are wider than they are deep. I also have a prejudice in favour of woofers of at least 8". 10" would be better. 15" would be ideal. *shok*

Anyway, I look forward to hearing your report on the Ref 1s.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Matt, could the Tannoy DC8 float your boat? (It's 27 cm wide and 26 cm deep, has a 8" woofer and a dark veneer -- not sure how 'trad-looking' it can be considered)

Just trying to keep you busy, until you get a pair of SHL5+...*unknw*

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Infiniteloop said:
How about Magico Q1's?

Apparently they really sing with Devialet.

Andrew, I love your sense of humour.

I'm just trying (not very well, I guess?) to deflect you a little from the Harbeths. I'm sure they sound fantastic, but Oh my, (and this is bound to cause outrage, but I'm going to say it anyway) they sure are ugly with their covers off. - I'm perhaps a little sensitive to this as Mrs Loop hates the sight of most speaker drivers. To her eye, they look like the sort of thing teenagers put in their cars to soup up the in-car entertainment.....

(It's prompted some interesting conversations..... and continues to foster some careful speaker choices!)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Matt, could the Tannoy DC8 float your boat? (It's 27 cm wide and 26 cm deep, has a 8" woofer and a dark veneer -- not sure how 'trad-looking' it can be considered)

Well done, sir! That's a really good call. They look great and probably sound great too. Mrs49 and I are currently listening through the Phantoms, and the concentric driver thing has really got me going. (We're listening to Ola Onabule, strongly recommended having heard him at the Royal Albert Hall this week).

Infiniteloop said:
matt49 said:

I'm just trying (not very well, I guess?) to deflect you a little from the Harbeths. I'm sure they sound fantastic, but Oh my, (and this is bound to cause outrage, but I'm going to say it anyway) they sure are ugly with their covers off. - I'm perhaps a little sensitive to this as Mrs Loop hates the sight of most speaker drivers. To her eye, they look like the sort of thing teenagers put in their cars to soup up the in-car entertainment.....

(It's prompted some interesting conversations..... and continues to foster some careful speaker choices!)

Andrew, could you please provide a transcript of the conversation between you and Mrs Loop when you suggest to her that you're going to buy a pair of Magico Q1s. That would be interesting. *bomb*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
Matt, could the Tannoy DC8 float your boat? (It's 27 cm wide and 26 cm deep, has a 8" woofer and a dark veneer...
....and Deep Cryogenic Treatment....what's not to like.

I think I heard them a while ago and if memory serves, they sounded clean and crisp but lacked a little scale....good lively, detailed speaker though, which sounded natural.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
DocG said:

Well done, sir! That's a really good call. They look great and probably sound great too. Mrs49 and I are currently listening through the Phantoms, and the concentric driver thing has really got me going. (We're listening to Ola Onabule, strongly recommended having heard him at the Royal Albert Hall this week).

Infiniteloop said:
matt49 said:

Andrew, could you please provide a transcript of the conversation between you and Mrs Loop when you suggest to her that you're going to buy a pair of Magico Q1s. That would be interesting. *bomb*

The Q1's would be a bit of a stretch, although she never checks the prices of anything that enters our household. Then again, I'd really rather not think about how much she spends on horses......., - but I digress....

Anyway, I have a longish term project easing a pair of aforementioned Guarneri Evolutions into the lounge.... (wish me luck!)

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling GamuT might suit your taste Matt, in sound that is, though they seem pretty nicely presented visually to my eyes. To widen your options further, you could check out Triangle's Magellan Duetto, undoubtedly a lovely speaker thoguh one whose sonic signature may not suit, but you won't know unless you audition. Opera's latest Callas, too - this may be a little small though.

TRENDING THREADS