Nice big, trad-looking standmounts

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
It’s now four months or so since we established ourselves in our newly furnished living room, and it’s time to take stock.

Sonically the Martin Logans are lovely. I’ve lived with them for about 15 months, and I don’t see myself replacing them for a few more years. However, whilst their looks are striking, and they don’t dominate the room as much as other speakers of their size would, we have a problem with the aesthetics. The new living room isn’t quite as sleek and modern as we originally intended; it’s become a lot more cosy, so the MLs now look a bit out of place. Also, whilst they don’t beam nearly as much as Quad ESLs, the listening position is fairly narrow, which makes listening sessions less fun for all the family.

So my plan is to return the MLs to their place in my study. The study speakers (Vivid 1.5s) can move downstairs temporarily, but they won’t last long. I love their look, but it just doesn’t fit in with the décor. Much as I love their sound, they'll have to go. (They were bought second hand, so they can be moved on with minimal loss.)

So what do we want in the living room? Definitely not tall floorstanders. Definitely not a modern look or finish (i.e. anything other than a nice wood). Dark wood preferred, to go with our ebony-veneered piano.

The obvious candidates would be a pair of Harbeth SHL5s. They’d look great in a dark veneer, they'd fill the room easily, and being SAM-ready, they’d work well with the Devialet.

Any other thoughts?

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
It’s now four months or so since we established ourselves in our newly furnished living room, and it’s time to take stock.

Sonically the Martin Logans are lovely. I’ve lived with them for about 15 months, and I don’t see myself replacing them for a few more years. However, whilst their looks are striking, and they don’t dominate the room as much as other speakers of their size would, we have a problem with the aesthetics. The new living room isn’t quite as sleek and modern as we originally intended; it’s become a lot more cosy, so the MLs now look a bit out of place. Also, whilst they don’t beam nearly as much as Quad ESLs, the listening position is fairly narrow, which makes listening sessions less fun for all the family.

So my plan is to return the MLs to their place in my study. The study speakers (Vivid 1.5s) can move downstairs temporarily, but they won’t last long. I love their look, but it just doesn’t fit in with the décor. Much as I love their sound, they'll have to go. (They were bought second hand, so they can be moved on with minimal loss.)

So what do we want in the living room? Definitely not tall floorstanders. Definitely not a modern look or finish (i.e. anything other than a nice wood). Dark wood preferred, to go with our ebony-veneered piano.

The obvious candidates would be a pair of Harbeth SHL5s. They’d look great in a dark veneer, they'd fill the room easily, and being SAM-ready, they’d work well with the Devialet.

Any other thoughts?

Hi Matt,

I'd go back to Sonus Faber. - Guarneri Evolution would look (and sound) lovely with your Devialet in your living room....

(They're currently on my radar).

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm a big Ruark fan and was almost crying when they stopped producing traditional speakers. There are some gorgeous mint huge vintage (circa '98) Ruarks on the Bay at the moment going for a song. No they're not mine either!

I think they were around £2.5k speakers back in 98, so represent good value now. They offer vintage looks because they ARE vintage!! I'd be seriously tempted myself but my room wouldn't cope with the bass.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

I intentionally said nothing about cost, though it is a factor.

@Infiniteloop (Andrew): beautiful speakers, no doubt, but as with the Cremonas I find their stands rather off-putting, especially the lumpy stone (concrete?) base. Maybe that makes me a philistine!

@Leeps: any particular models I should look at? The idea is quite appealing.

@Vlad: they look great, but their price and almost complete absence from the UK second-hand market are both problems. I’d be interested to try them though. My experience with high-sensitivity speakers has not been altogether good. I tried the Audio Note AN-Es with the Devialet about 18 months ago. They seemed very coloured to my ear, maybe from the cabinets. Would the DeVores also suffer from cabinet coloration? Atkinson’s measurements suggest so.

At the moment the classic BBC-style thin-wall designs are topping my list: Harbeth, Spendor, Stirling.

Burnsie

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Not long ago bought Harbeth 30.1 and love them, preferred them over the SHL5s.

Hi-Fi racks now do matching stands for them in whatever veneer you go for, I know Harbeth stands are not to everyones liking but I think they look and sound stunning.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:

The ones I saw listed were Ruark Equinox, although they would no doubt have a VERY different sound signature to my former trusty Epilogue 2's. If you put Ruark Equinox in the search field, you should see them. I think if I had them I wouldn't know whether I'd want to listen to them or look at them first. I could hardly cope with both!

I did speak to one of the Ruark reps at the Bristol Show last year and begged him to consider putting all their experience & know-how into a pair of stand-mount active speakers with a DAC; not in the same market as their little MR1's, but something size-wise around the same as the Epilogues I owned, albeit active versions. £1500 to £2k's worth of active speakers from Ruark would be an enthralling prospect indeed. Maybe I need to pester them some more.

I really miss my Ruark's sound. I've never heard anything as pure, detailed and rapid since regardless of speaker price or amplification (even LS50's on the end of a Hegel). I only had them on the end of a Cambridge 640A! I can't imagine how good they would have been on the end of a better quality amp. With my subsequent box-swapping since I had the Ruarks it's taught me that SQ isn't always commensurate with price (my Epilogues were about the £400 mark in 2004 so if available today would probably be in the LS50 ball-park price-wise) and that really enjoyable sounds can be had for surprisingly little...IF you find the right kit and match the speakers and amp well.

matt49 said:
Thanks for the responses.

I intentionally said nothing about cost, though it is a factor.

@Infiniteloop (Andrew): beautiful speakers, no doubt, but as with the Cremonas I find their stands rather off-putting, especially the lumpy stone (concrete?) base. Maybe that makes me a philistine!

@Vlad: they look great, but their price and almost complete absence from the UK second-hand market are both problems. I’d be interested to try them though. My experience with high-sensitivity speakers has not been altogether good. I tried the Audio Note AN-Es with the Devialet about 18 months ago. They seemed very coloured to my ear, maybe from the cabinets. Would the DeVores also suffer from cabinet coloration? Atkinson’s measurements suggest so.

At the moment the classic BBC-style thin-wall designs are topping my list: Harbeth, Spendor, Stirling.

PMC TB2is or ATC SCM19s. They should give you a sound that's a little different. I (obv) can vouch for the PMCs, but others can give more insight on the ATCs.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Jaxwire (did I spell that correctly) thinks most highly of PMC's Twenty 26.

PS. I really should read posts better. Forget about the above :)

Agree with Harbeth. I think they look nice.

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
In a similar vein to the Harbeth, you have the Spendor Classic range.

You beat me to that old man!(joke) I have heard them one time at local Audio-T and i was really surprised how they sound. I thought they have some dna with harbeths. Vocals to die for imo.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I also love the look of Raidho speakers.

For example the C1.1 with matching stands. - Furniture grade cabinets with an elegant and modern twist.

Not exactly the OP's brief but hey ... got carried away :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think the Ref 1s (in Rosewood), would sound stunning with the Devialet....but maybe a touch modern looking.

I can't remember if you have heard the New Refs in your search for the perfect speaker.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:

I auditioned their taller, thinner (and cheaper) brother, the Gibbon 88 with my Devialet, and the combination had some appeal: wide soundstage, good transient response, rich and coherent; unexpectedly deep bass too, though rather loose. So yes, they have some flavour of their own. A brief listen to the Orang Utans, driven by a Leben valve amp, gave a similar impression; the bass was better, but still not tight by any standard. Worth a listen if it's not too much trouble. They look cool too, but frankly, not the best VFM IMO.

matt49 said:

If you fancy the BBC-style speakers, the Russell Ks might be a leftfield option. I really liked their direct, dynamic sound. I heard the Red 100s (with an Accuphase E600), but there's a bigger model, the 150, on its way -- not sure if it's still standmounted, or a floorstanding version...

You can have them veneered and with grilles (paying extras).

VFM? Oh yeah!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
How big is big? Do you have a limit for their size in mind? The JBL Studio Monitor 4429 is big and trad-looking and comes in dark veneer (not sure about 'nice'), and it is SAM-ready! 12" woofer and two compression drivers: could be fun!

A safer suggestion, I guess: the Diapason Adamantes are SAM-ready too. A lust for the eye!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
How big is big? Do you have a limit for their size in mind? The JBL Studio Monitor 4429 is big and trad-looking and comes in dark veneer (not sure about 'nice'), and it is SAM-ready! 12" woofer and two compression drivers: could be fun!

Not furniture that one. The JBL Array 1400 more so but still their horns make people think of "disco" PA.

Sonus Faber Electa Amator on the other hand, domestic cats that can really meow. Specifically the mk I with custom made Dynaudio drivers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
A safer suggestion, I guess: the Diapason Adamantes are SAM-ready too. A lust for the eye! 
I very nearly suggested them along with Dali Epicon 2s, but felt they were too small....but since you suggested them...

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again both to those who have internalized the brief and those who haven’t.

To get a sense of how the speakers would work in the room, you can click on my sig: now imagine replacing the MLs with a pair of Harbeth SHL5s in dark veneer on open-frame stands. Beautiful.

The min and max sizes I’m considering would probably be Harbeth M30.1 (min) and M40.2 (max), though the latter would be excluded on grounds of price.

@Burnsie: I’ve heard both M30.1 and SHL5, but not side by side, which is clearly what’s needed.

@Leeps: thanks, an interesting speaker and might well end up being a massive bargain. Can’t say I like the look though ...

@Plastic Penguin: both excellent speakers, I’m sure, and the PMCs look attractive in a dark veneer. Less sure whether the smallish LF drivers would have what it takes in a 5 x 5.5m room.

@CnoEvil: my search for the perfect speaker ended before the new Refs were released, I think. The problem with the baby Refs is that they don’t quite have the physical presence I’m after.

@DocG: thanks for your appraisal of the De Vores and their flabby bass. I’ll keep an eye out for the bigger Russell Ks. I fear Vlad is right about the look of the horns in the JBLs: I doubt they could be made to look good in a traditional UK living room.

@Vlad: lovely speakers, but they don’t really fit the brief.

@CnoEvil: I loved the Epicon 6s when I heard them about 18 months ago: they were topping my list until I heard the MLs. A shame about the rather blocky stands though. Not sure I could live with the look.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
@CnoEvil: my search for the perfect speaker ended before the new Refs were released, I think. The problem with the baby Refs is that they don’t quite have the physical presence I’m after.
I hope to hear them on Thursday as part of a Kef/Arcam/Audioquest evening.....I strongly suspect they will have Sonic Presence.

Compared to the Harbeth 30.1, They are 2cm shorter, 7.2cm narrower, but 15.5cm deeper.

Given the type of sound you like, they would probably be worth a listen (if in budget)....I should know more after Thur.

EDIT. In case you haven't seen this: http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/807-kef-reference-1-loudspeakers

They say, "When I first saw the new Reference models in Munich, I was surprised that they were traditional rectangular boxes....What I learned was that the Reference-series speakers are more typically styled to appeal to those who want to have something that looks more like a classic loudspeaker in their living room, not a sculpture or an industrial-design statement."

AND, "The Reference 1 isn’t really large, but at 17.2”H x 8”W x 15.25”D (excluding the connectors and grille), it’s bigger than most stand-mounted speakers."

AND, "KEF’s Reference 1 is the best stand-mounted speaker I’ve ever heard. The bottommost octave excepted, it’s among the very best speakers I’ve heard of any size and price."

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I think the Ref 1s (in Rosewood), would sound stunning with the Devialet....but maybe a touch modern looking.

I can't remember if you have heard the New Refs in your search for the perfect speaker.

I've heard the Ref 1's with the Dev 200 fed by a SME TT and wasn't impressed. - I thought the combination sounded a little 'dry'. They do look very nice though!

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
DocG said:

Not furniture that one. The JBL Array 1400 more so but still their horns make people think of "disco" PA.

Sonus Faber Electa Amator on the other hand, domestic cats that can really meow. Specifically the mk I with custom made Dynaudio drivers.

Beautiful speakers.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
DocG said:

I traded a pair of Amators when I moved up to my Logans, miss them to this day.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts