Next upgrade reccomendations for budget set up

Mr Tea

Nov 5, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I currently have a Project primary E turntable which I've fitted a Goldring E3 to.
I have the Onkyo A9010 amp and using the built in phono stage with some Monitor Audio Bronze 6 floorstanders.

I don't know what my next upgrade should be. Would I be better off buying a separate phono stage? (Been looking at the Cambridge audio Solo). Or, buying a new turntable? How much would I realistically have to spend for a noticeable difference? (Been looking at Audio Technica AT LP5X).

Thanks

Mr Tea

Nov 5, 2019
Visit site
Thanks, I've heard phono stage upgrades can be a bit hit and miss.
I wouldn't say it's lacking anything specifically. I've just got an itch to upgrade.

Mr Tea

Nov 5, 2019
Visit site
I hadn't considered upgrading the amplifier. Funny because l'm sure the what hifi review said something along the lines of 'you can build a system around the Onkyo and develop it strongly without the amp being the limiting factor'.

I guess my MA speakers are capable of more 😄

Thanks for the advice - 2nd hand is a good option.
I can stop looking at phono stages now 👍

Reactions: Al ears

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I too agree with Plastic Penguin when he says you should upgrade your amp as that is where your notice the biggest change. You only need to spend 200 to 300 quid more than your currant stereo amplifier cost you to hear the a noticeable difference . You then can use your old stereo amplifier to start a second system for your bedroom or give it to a family member/ friend to help them enjoy better sounding music.

Reactions: Mr Tea
Hi all,

I currently have a Project primary E turntable which I've fitted a Goldring E3 to.
I have the Onkyo A9010 amp and using the built in phono stage with some Monitor Audio Bronze 6 floorstanders.

I don't know what my next upgrade should be. Would I be better off buying a separate phono stage? (Been looking at the Cambridge audio Solo). Or, buying a new turntable? How much would I realistically have to spend for a noticeable difference? (Been looking at Audio Technica AT LP5X).

Thanks
Trev, is your turntable your only or main source? If so, I’d go with improving the turntable, though a better amp is always nice to have. The challenge is what represents a meaningful improvement for you. It would probably need expenditure north of £500 for a new product.

I claim the prize for spotting your trick mention of the AT LP5X, which of course has its own phono stage and is therefore totally superfluous in your system. How about a Pro-ject Debut Carbon Evo?
Or a Rega Planar 2 if you fancy a change of brand?

Reactions: Al ears

Mr Tea

Nov 5, 2019
Visit site
Not my only source, I have a Yamaha CDN-301 that takes care of my CDs, Spotify and streaming Flacs from my NAS drive.

Thanks for the turntable recommendations, It's good to know that I should be considering a level above the Audio Technica and Rega Planar 1 for a decent improvement. I'd hate to spend £300 and not notice a difference.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Not my only source, I have a Yamaha CDN-301 that takes care of my CDs, Spotify and streaming Flacs from my NAS drive.

Thanks for the turntable recommendations, It's good to know that I should be considering a level above the Audio Technica and Rega Planar 1 for a decent improvement. I'd hate to spend £300 and not notice a difference.
I don't think your notice that much of a difference when you upgrade from the turntable you have now to a Rega Planar 1 turntable as I think Project make the best budget turntables going, bar non, and this coming form a huge Rega fanboy. Your probably have to upgrade to something in the £500 to £600 price range before you hear any big differences from the turntable you have now. Upgrade your stereo amplifier or buy a phono preamp to hear the biggest sound quality difference from what you have now without having to spend lots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Tea

newworld

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I hadn't considered upgrading the amplifier. Funny because l'm sure the what hifi review said something along the lines of 'you can build a system around the Onkyo and develop it strongly without the amp being the limiting factor'.

I guess my MA speakers are capable of more 😄

Thanks for the advice - 2nd hand is a good option.
I can stop looking at phono stages now 👍
Your Monitor Audio's are definitely capable of more. From what I remember, the Onkyo did have nice sound (clean and refined), but no punch or muscle. Demo your speakers with Arcam if you can. People usually think that Arcam is boring, but in actuality they are rather punchy and focused.

Mr Tea

Nov 5, 2019
Visit site
Your Monitor Audio's are definitely capable of more. From what I remember, the Onkyo did have nice sound (clean and refined), but no punch or muscle. Demo your speakers with Arcam if you can. People usually think that Arcam is boring, but in actuality they are rather punchy and focused.

You've hit the nail on the head. Nothing inherently wrong with the sound, it can be a bit bright but it does lack punch.
I think a new amp is the next logical step 🙂

matthewpianist

I agree an amp upgrade will get more performance from your MA floor standers and, as good as the Onkyo was at its price, it wasn't the giant killer it was made out to be. Amps such as the Rega Brio, Audiolab 6000A, Leak Stereo 130 and Cyrus ONE HD would all bring considerable improvement to your system. If you can afford to spend more or are happy to buy second hand you'll open up further possibilities. In that case, Roksan is a good option as are amps such as the Naim Nait 5Si, Rega Elex-R and Audiolab 8000A.

Just one caveat... You have decent entry-level sources, but the amp upgrade will shed too much light on them, and getting the best out of an improved amp/speaker combination will need at least a turntable upgrade. A Project Debut Carbon EVO or Rega Planar 3 would offer you a substantial step up and may be all the turntable you ever need.

At the same time, watch out for repeated upgrade itches. I've been there over and over, and if you're not careful it can become never-ending. When you stop listening to the hi-fi and feel completely immersed in the music, that's the point to stop and divert your spending to music instead of equipment.

Reactions: WayneKerr

newworld

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
You've hit the nail on the head. Nothing inherently wrong with the sound, it can be a bit bright but it does lack punch.
I think a new amp is the next logical step 🙂
Do it. Give those Monitor Audio's some power to breath fire with. :D People usually don't associate fire with Arcam, but I will endorse the Arcam SA10 again. Just get a unit home and give it a listen.

robdmarsh

I agree an amp upgrade will get more performance from your MA floor standers and, as good as the Onkyo was at its price, it wasn't the giant killer it was made out to be. Amps such as the Rega Brio, Audiolab 6000A, Leak Stereo 130 and Cyrus ONE HD would all bring considerable improvement to your system. If you can afford to spend more or are happy to buy second hand you'll open up further possibilities. In that case, Roksan is a good option as are amps such as the Naim Nait 5Si, Rega Elex-R and Audiolab 8000A.

Just one caveat... You have decent entry-level sources, but the amp upgrade will shed too much light on them, and getting the best out of an improved amp/speaker combination will need at least a turntable upgrade. A Project Debut Carbon EVO or Rega Planar 3 would offer you a substantial step up and may be all the turntable you ever need.

At the same time, watch out for repeated upgrade itches. I've been there over and over, and if you're not careful it can become never-ending. When you stop listening to the hi-fi and feel completely immersed in the music, that's the point to stop and divert your spending to music instead of equipment.
I know that you've had a fair few amplifiers in your time. How would you compare these two: Naim nait 5si and Denon pma 1600ne?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts