Next on my upgrade journey...

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Finally i've upgraded my Rega DAC for a AURALIC VEGA, this DAC is a real gem, the warmth, intimacy and detail in this thing have never stoped to amaze me so far.

The rest of my system is a few steps down from this DAC, i know that I can step up the sound quality, and started to look online for solutions to upgrade my amp and speakers.

On my short list of amps are: PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP (new, no used units for sale, PrimaLuna is well known for great construction quality and very few units on second hand market), Gryphon Diablo (second hand), Pathos Lògos mkII ( second hand) without DAC.

On my short list of speakers i've got so far: Dynaudio Confidence C1 or Contour S1.4.

ProAC probably will be on that list as well, it will depend on the demo that I've scheduled for the PrimaLuna on 10th of October, it will be paired with ProAC speakers ( don't know the exact model) but praying for D18 or D2.

Any insight or recomendations welcome! *drinks*

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Hi all,

Finally i've upgraded my Rega DAC for a AURALIC VEGA, this DAC is a real gem, the warmth, intimacy and detail in this thing have never stoped to amaze me so far.

The rest of my system is a few steps down from this DAC, i know that I can step up the sound quality, and started to look online for solutions to upgrade my amp and speakers.

On my short list of amps are: PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP (new, no used units for sale, PrimaLuna is well known for great construction quality and very few units on second hand market), Gryphon Diablo (second hand), Pathos Lògos mkII ( second hand) without DAC.

On my short list of speakers i've got so far: Dynaudio Confidence C1 or Contour S1.4.

ProAC probably will be on that list as well, it will depend on the demo that I've scheduled for the PrimaLuna on 10th of October, it will be paired with ProAC speakers ( don't know the exact model) but praying for D18 or D2.

Hi,

Looks to me with most of those choices of amps you're on your way to a big improvement on what you have... you should be in for a treat with the ProAc on the end of PrimaLuna. The Gryphon will be a different beast altogether, supposed to be a fine amp too though and Pathos, well, I've not heard a bad word about the brand.

Others you might consider are Electrocompaniet, Sugden, Accuphase, Sonneteer,, Croft and a couple of other valve amps, Mastersound, or Leben.

As for speakers, I'm always loathed to give too strong an opinion as your own listening room will have a lot to do with your final choice, plus I've never heard Dyns before.

Good luck and make sure and keep us posted how the journey goes.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Hi all,

Hi,

Looks to me with most of those choices of amps you're on your way to a big improvement on what you have... you should be in for a treat with the ProAc on the end of PrimaLuna. The Gryphon will be a different beast altogether, supposed to be a fine amp too though and Pathos, well, I've not heard a bad word about the brand.

Others you might consider are Electrocompaniet, Sugden, Accuphase, Sonneteer,, Croft and a couple of other valve amps, Mastersound, or Leben.

As for speakers, I'm always loathed to give too strong an opinion as your own listening room will have a lot to do with your final choice, plus I've never heard Dyns before.

Good luck and make sure and keep us posted how the journey goes.

Mac

Hi Mac, thanks for jumping in!

you've suggested 3 brands that I've got a big curiosity to listen to, but unfortunately in Portugal Sugen, Electrocomaniet and Sonneteer have no representation what so ever... Accuphase do, and I did listen to one when I went to buy the AURALIC, but I really don't like the Accuphase looks, it seems like a AV from Yamaha, not my cup of tea....

Regarding valve amps, I don't wanna fall to far from PrimaLuna, the auto bias and HT by pass is a must have in my case, and great options regarding valve rolling, you can use EL34, KT88, KT120 and KT150 with a flick of a switch. And if I go this way, will need every drop of wpc to drive the Dyns. PrimaLuna have a lot going on, it can drive demanding loudspeakers very well, reviewers from Stereophile and The Absolute Sound are amazed by this amp, and what it can achieve with demanding loads.

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Hi all,

C1 is require more power than s1.4 from amp .S1.4LE is improved version.New contour 20 will appear soon in shops .Some already recieved

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Rimse said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Hi all,

C1 is require more power than s1.4 from amp .S1.4LE is improved version.New contour 20 will appear soon in shops .Some already recieved

I know, big Dyn fan here! I'm on the second hand market, will depend on the price and condition. Cross fingers to came across a pair of C1s in mint condition.

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
dynaudio confidence c1 are not tube friendly ,I had it before c1 and s1.4 .Tried them with hybrid d class and tube amp. And still prefered krell kav500i with c1 . Sold both and was looking for c1 platinum,but found good deal on new s1.4LE *good* much better match with hybrid amp

I can vouch for Dyn Contours. Heard the S1.4 and they were very impressive. The only real caveat is they need shed loads of space to work at their best. Unlike some brands they need around 3' from the back wall to prevent any booming. Get that right and they are stonking.

An enviable problem that you have! Bear in mind with the PrimaLuna that the output impedance will alter the frequency response, and that this will vary with different speakers. So it does diverge from neutrality, and the trick will be getting a good match. The Stereophile review prints a graph to highlight this.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys for all the input! Regarding amplification I would like to stay away from class D, And i've only consithereing valves because of PrimaLuna ease to drive difficult speakers, with KT120 I can get 85wpc in ultralinear mode, of pure classe A power. There are lots of online reports of people driving ATC, Sonus Faber, Dynaudio with the Dialogue Premium HD. Next week will demo this unit with ProAC speakers, I'm thinking in bringing the Vega with me, to have somthing in the system that i'm familiar with.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Thanks guys for all the input! Regarding amplification I would like to stay away from class D, And i've only consithereing valves because of PrimaLuna ease to drive difficult speakers, with KT120 I can get 85wpc in ultralinear mode, of pure classe A power. There are lots of online reports of people driving ATC, Sonus Faber, Dynaudio with the Dialogue Premium HD. Next week will demo this unit with ProAC speakers, I'm thinking in bringing the Vega with me, to have somthing in the system that i'm familiar with.

[/

definitely take the Vega with you.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts