Newbies first setup

Robbo_123

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

This will be my first post here, I'm pretty much a complete beginner when it comes to audio equipment. So I have been having a shop around and been getting a bit of advice. What is your view on the following combination?

Project Essential 3 turntable

Cambridge CXA60 amp

Monitor Audio Silver 1 speakers

I don't have a massive house so volume etc won't be an issue and I'm really just looking at getting into vinyl.

thanks,

Ben

Hi Ben, and welcome to the forum.

The challenge for those of us who grew up with LPs in advising on the resurgent interest in vinyl is in getting the best results for the outlay. Frankly, for your budget, a cd system will give better results. And both hardware and software are cheaper for CDs. However, that wasn't the question!

If I've not misread the specs I think your proposed amp is overequipped with a DAC you don't need, but has no phono stage. For half the price, I'd get a Onkyo A9010, and spend double on the turntable/cartridge.

Try to hear as many systems as possible, and then decide. You could get used speakers to save money at first, or start with cd and save for a really good turntable.

Robbo_123

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your input. I initially looked at the amp you mentioned but a few people have mentioned that Japanese amps tend to loose some of the middle notes. I'm mainly listening to Rock, Punk, Ska etc. I could up the turntable to the Project Debut Carbon if that is a good idea. I honestly don't really have much idea about cartridges etc and you're right I would need a pre amp with the Cambridge amp. I do like the idea of a British made product though...

Robbo_123 said:
Thanks for your input. I initially looked at the amp you mentioned but a few people have mentioned that Japanese amps tend to loose some of the middle notes. I'm mainly listening to Rock, Punk, Ska etc. I could up the turntable to the Project Debut Carbon if that is a good idea. I honestly don't really have much idea about cartridges etc and you're right I would need a pre amp with the Cambridge amp. I do like the idea of a British made product though...
I'm sure others will chip in, but if the British thing appeals you maybe should be looking at Rega, both their Planar series turntables and their Brio R amp. Should go well together and the turntables are definitely British made. Not 100% sure about the amp, but i know the Cambridge is made in China.

By the way, Japanese amps don't lose any notes, but some listeners will believe that the mid-range is purer in some designs, though I don't think one can group all products from one country together. E.g. Some of the smoother amps are the bigger Yamaha and Luxman models.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I recently auditioned turntables at this end of the market, and found the Debut Carbon to be far superior to the Planar 1. However, the Planar had the Rega Carbon cartridge fitted and the Debut had the Ortofon 2M Red, which I already have now.

As much as my choice of cart is not popular by a long way on these forums, for the price it's extremely good and should serve you well.

All that said, I do agree that pound for pound it's easier to get a great sound from a cd or streaming based system.

Good luck, and have fun listening!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts