Newbie with a TT upgrade question

Hi Folks,

So... a couple of birthday's ago i was lucky enough to get a project essential 2 from the wife. Now ive got the itch and i am looking to make some upgrades and refine the sound quality. The obvious choice would be to completely upgrade to the carbon but there lies the dilema... The wife would know i flogged the old TT!!

So the question is, would a cartridge change to the ortofon 2M red / blue be a viable option and is the replacment and easy once to make? I know you can buy the cartridge or a full plug and play version of the 2M's but didn't know which one i need. Is the 2M cart directly transferable from the OM5E?

I guess my final question is... will a cart upgrade give me a decent increase in quality on the essential or do i need to go the whole hog and upgrade the whole TT to hear the benifit?? It wouldn't go down to well if i swithed out the TT but i don't want to waste £100+ on a cart either.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Martyn

AstralTweeks . said:
Hi Folks,

So... a couple of birthday's ago i was lucky enough to get a project essential 2 from the wife. Now ive got the itch and i am looking to make some upgrades and refine the sound quality. The obvious choice would be to completely upgrade to the carbon but there lies the dilema... The wife would know i flogged the old TT!!

So the question is, would a cartridge change to the ortofon 2M red / blue be a viable option and is the replacment and easy once to make? I know you can buy the cartridge or a full plug and play version of the 2M's but didn't know which one i need. Is the 2M cart directly transferable from the OM5E?

I guess my final question is... will a cart upgrade give me a decent increase in quality on the essential or do i need to go the whole hog and upgrade the whole TT to hear the benifit?? It wouldn't go down to well if i swithed out the TT but i don't want to waste £100+ on a cart either.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Martyn

Welcome to the forum.

A cartridge upgrade is the only real way to significantly improve your turntable.

The Ortofon 2M Red is not the best in my opinion and, if you're not sure of what you are doing, you need to find a dealer to assist you with the change, it's not a simple swap one for the other.

Do you have any friends that might have the knowledge required?

Thanks for the resoponse and the welcome. Im the only TT user in my social circle so im affraid there is no help to be had there.

I could possibly go to my local richer sounds to get some assistance.

Do you thinks the 2M blue would be a better choice or would you advise on another brand?

Thanks again, Martyn

AstralTweeks . said:
Thanks for the resoponse and the welcome. Im the only TT user in my social circle so im affraid there is no help to be had there.

I could possibly go to my local richer sounds to get some assistance.

Do you thinks the 2M blue would be a better choice or would you advise on another brand?

Thanks again, Martyn

I am sure Richer Sounds would help you out, maybe for a small fee if you got the cartridge elsewhere, as I don't believe that they stock them.

The 2M blue is a reasonable improvement on the Red. You may see from my previous posts I am not a fan of entry level cartridges especially Ortofon, however, it's very much a personal thing.

For less than the price of a Blue you might consider the Audio Technica AT-440 MLB to be a better all rounder.

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
If it helps, I got an upgrade kit from Henly Designs

https://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/S/E%20Upgrade%20Kit-p841

...not sure if it's available for the Essential though.

On the cartride side, I got a Nagaoka MP110 for my Xpression and it certainly made a difference. More detail and bigger soudstage.

chrisr1718 said:
If it helps, I got an upgrade kit from Henly Designs

https://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/S/E%20Upgrade%20Kit-p841

...not sure if it's available for the Essential though.

On the cartride side, I got a Nagaoka MP110 for my Xpression and it certainly made a difference. More detail and bigger soudstage.

Pretty sure the upgrade kit is not for the Essential. The cartridge chris mentions is an alternative at around £90.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
A 2m red that is... From my local dealer, and fitted it myself. Instruction found online and advice from the good folks on here. On my TT, and in my opinion, it made a big difference, and in a positive way.

I believe Richer do stock them, but of course they may or may not have a staff member with the expertise to help if you don't want to do it yourself. I was quoted £25 by one place to fit one, and free by another (where I bought from in the end) so it's worth making a few calls....

good luck!

TRENDING THREADS