newbie wants advice about trying vinyl

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
as the title says im curious about trying a tt. My amp is cyrus pre xp with psxr and two eight powers, speakers are dynaudio audience 52se. I am looking at get something on ebay and paying cash on collection and i'm thinking should i push the boat out and get somethin like a half decent tho bog standard vintage linn lp12, and adding a new or second hand phono stage. Im really quite green about this but i would like something that would do my existing components justice. I am in the mind now that i will never buy another cd player as i have a decent dac and listen mostly from my pc.

Now i'm thinking get a good turntable, buy any thing i like to own in a physical form on vinyl and enjoy it in that medium, then i can convert it with an analogue to digital to converter for music on the fly. Does anybody consider this viable or am i being a bit naive?

I'm also open to suggestions for alternative second hand or new turntables, i am in no hurry to buy anything and i appreciate new vinyl releases can be pricey. I guess tho that we all own stacks of cd's we never listen to and some stuff we love, however since getting spotify (and apart from the usual chart dross, i hope ive bought what i really like since) i feel my cd buying has matured to a half decent level and am i missing that last little bit.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I've been out of vinyl since the early 90s, when I owned an LP12. It's a fantastic TT but it has a tricky suspension that needs correctly set up and tuned. I would say a Linn dealer on your doorstep is a prerequisite, if this is going to be a viable proposition.

Others on here will give advice on good alternatives.

Cno

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i think the house of linn is pretty much on my doorstep but i might cry if i see their charges. the jest of my thread tho was can i use a turntable for top quality listening pleasure (would i appreciate a difference) as i have a decent system for day to day listening

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
i

I'd demo a new Rega RP3-24 and a Gyrodec or something similar to give you an idea of what you could get for the money and whether vinyl is really what you want. You also need to decide whether you want a decent fitted lid Rega,Linn etc or a large plastic cover such as I have on the Orbe. I think the small covers on the Roksan's etc are a waste of time.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bluebrazil said:
the jest of my thread tho was can i use a turntable for top quality listening pleasure (would i appreciate a difference) as i have a decent system for day to day listening

YES! :)

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
bluebrazil said:
i think the house of linn is pretty much on my doorstep but i might cry if i see their charges. the jest of my thread tho was can i use a turntable for top quality listening pleasure (would i appreciate a difference) as i have a decent system for day to day listening

My previous answer was typed before I read this. Having read this you may need to demo an Michell Orbe SE or similar.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
the michel gyro decs look the dogs nuts, as a piece of art i could justify saving up for 4 to 6 months. would this just be a case of polishing ones vanity or would this be value for money as somebody who wants to hear a good sound from vinyl.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
TBH I would "dip your feet" in the water with a new Rega RP1 with the performance pack first. Then if you like the sound of vinyl (you will :)) then you can sell it on and invest in a better deck minimum Rega P5 or Linn lp12 or Gyrodec etc etc.

If you dont like it you can pretty much sell on for not much loss.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
cheers true blue, i know i like the sound of vinyl and want to get it right first time, guess this aint gonna be easy tho. i appreciate that theres a few variables going on with carts arms and phono stages. is it possible to pick up something decent and try to tune it with a phono stage or cart. your thinkings good tho and if i flea bay a good deck like a lp12 i'm hoping its tuneable or easy to move on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts