newbie phono to Amp question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am just starting out on this HiFi quest and have a question on how to connect a turntable to a system (don't have anything as yet so open book, although closed cheque book!!!)

My understanding is there are 3 ways to connect a turntable to a amp:
1) The Amp has a Phono connector
2) The Turntable has a Phono Amp (hope I got that right) built in and can then connect to an Amp in any connector
3) Get a separate Phono amp that then connects to an Amp in any connector

Is that right..... if it is, what way is normally the best way to do this. I am just looking at a simple system at the moment due to funds £1000 - so a CD, Amp and Speakers - and will add when funds available. But I want to make sure I get the correct type of Amp

thanks

Ruddocg

John Duncan

You're correct in that a turntable needs a phono stage - an amplifier which brings the signal up to the same level of a CD player, and that can be, as you say, in the amp itself, built in to the turntable, or bought separately.

In my younger day, practically all all amps had a phono stage built in, since turntables were the definitive hifi source, and they had to be good quality, as at that time how the phono stage sounded pretty much defined how good an amp was in the auditioning room.

Obviously this has changed since then, and many (though by no means all) eschew this and just have line-level stages suitable for CD.

If I read you correctly and you're starting with CD replay only, I personally wouldn't worry about which amp you buy (provided it sounds good with the CD player), since if it does have a phono stage you can go down route 1) and if it doesn't you can go down routes 2) and 3) (though option 2 is limited primarily to Pro-Ject decks). At your budget level, you would probably find that 2) and 3) give you better sound anyway, since any phono stage in an amp in your budget is likely to have cost tuppence, just to jump on the 'vinyl resurrection' bandwagon.

Finally, if you do buy an amp without a phono stage, you can buy them separately from £10 up to however much you want to spend - there are standout products at all price levels.

A

Anonymous

Thanks John - from further reading and looking on other forums I kinda have come to that conclusion...... do you have any idea how good the phono amp is on a turntable, would it be the same quality as the integrated amp and phono connection..... thats my thinking anyway, will probably just get a separate phono amp when fund permit.

nads

[quote user="ruddocg"]
Thanks John - from further reading and looking on other forums I kinda have come to that conclusion...... do you have any idea how good the phono amp is on a turntable, would it be the same quality as the integrated amp and phono connection..... thats my thinking anyway, will probably just get a separate phono amp when fund permit.

[/quote] it depends on the turntable.

But most of the built in ones are on the lowwer end Pro-jects (that i have seen). So without actually having kit to mention on lets say some are good and some could be a lot better.

John Duncan

Agreed - I've only seen them on Project's budget decks and are presumably commensurately budget temselves - good enough to get you going, but leaving you with no room for improvement (or for buying separate ones with cool blue lights
emotion-1.gif
)

nads

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Agreed - I've only seen them on Project's budget decks and are presumably commensurately budget temselves - good enough to get you going, but leaving you with no room for improvement (or for buying separate ones with cool blue lights
emotion-1.gif
)[/quote]

Mine has a green light and i am thinking about changing it out already after a month with the new turntable.

nads

Noooo wrong colour.

But back on topic, My 60 quid PP2 phono stage (amp) was great with my 20 year old 100 quid Technics turntable but with the new deck i feel it is holding it back. Just need to play with the cables first but i do think an replacement is on the cards.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts