Newbie needs speaker cable advice!

Irishhifi70

Jul 13, 2022
Visit site
Hello everyone.
I have a system in my living room which I use to listen to music as well as being my home theatre system. I am looking to upgrade my speaker cable and am looking for some recommendations. It's not a high-end system but I reckon changing speaker cables may improve the sound. I have a Pioneer SC LX502 with Jamo S628 tower speakers, and a Jamo D600 subwoofer. I listen to FLAC files using Audirvana on a Mac Mini and a CambridgeAudio DAC Magic Plus. I have been using a generic 12 gauge speaker cable I have been using for 15 years. I have the front speakers bi-wired so I will need double the cable for the front speakers. What would you recommend, should I stick with what I have? Many thanks
Peter

Hello everyone.
I have a system in my living room which I use to listen to music as well as being my home theatre system. I am looking to upgrade my speaker cable and am looking for some recommendations. It's not a high-end system but I reckon changing speaker cables may improve the sound. I have a Pioneer SC LX502 with Jamo S628 tower speakers, and a Jamo D600 subwoofer. I listen to FLAC files using Audirvana on a Mac Mini and a CambridgeAudio DAC Magic Plus. I have been using a generic 12 gauge speaker cable I have been using for 15 years. I have the front speakers bi-wired so I will need double the cable for the front speakers. What would you recommend, should I stick with what I have? Many thanks
Peter
Welcome to the forum.

If you have been looking at / reading this forum at all you might have noticed that cable questions are best avoided.
If you absolutely have to buy new speaker cables then just go to your local dealer and buy some that fall within your budget would be my advice.
It may not improve the sound you get but they may last a while and be the right colour...
And yes I was being serious.
Best stick with what you have and spend money on improving the bits that really will make an obvious difference.

Reactions: Gray

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Hello everyone.
Peter
Hi,

Assuming the gauge of the cable is up to the job, and is Oxygen Free Copper as opposed to Copper Clad Aluminium, I doubt there is much benefit in changing speaker cable. If you do fancy a change I use Van Damme speaker cable (2.5mm) for my surround and hifi system and am more than happy with it. It's cheap, good quality and easy to work with. There is a school of thought that says silver coated cable sounds 'brighter' but I'm more of the "if the gauge of the cable is up to the job and is good quality copper, any difference in sound is likely imperceptible".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts