Newbie needs some advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am about to upgrade my 15 yr old JVC 28" CRT set. So far so good, but now it starts to get a little confusing...

I use the TV to watch DVD's and normal transmissions over the Virgin media cable. I do not play games or wish to use the TV as a computer monitor. I would like a 37 inch size and do not need any special audio requirements as I already have a very decent surround sound set-up. I would obviously like it to be as 'future-proof' as possible and my budget is £800 tops. That just about sums up my requirements.

Now I have spent a lot of time wandering around various showrooms looking at one set after another and quite frankly I can't see a whole lot of difference in picture quality between LCD and Plasma sets - this could be my eyesight or it might be the limitations of the showroom environment. The advice I have been given, so far, is (I suspect) largely driven by the commission earned on the equipment that the sales person is trying to push at me and I would very much welcome some unbiased advice from you experts out there.

So as far as I can see I have a straight choice firstly between Plasma and LCD, after which it is down to the manufacturer/model. So far I am considering three sets: Firstly the Panasonic TH-37PX7 (which is a plasma model) and the Samsung LE37S86BDX/XEU, an LCD model. Price-wise these are within £30 of each other and just scrape into my budget. The 'outsider' choice is the LCD Sony KDL37P3020 which is quite a bit cheaper at £600

All these models seem to have a very good specification and are probably all very good sets but I am unable to locate much in the way of reviews and there is nowhere locally (S Wales) where I can actually get to see these sets demonstrated - lots of places have very similar models on display, but not these exact models. So this is where I need some help; What do you think of these selections? Are they good sets? Are any of them absolute Turkeys? Is there anything else I should seriously consider?

Many thanks in advance to all who can help.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi there

Our current Best Buy 37in TV is the Panasonic TH-37PX70 (plasma) which is officially £1000, but you should be able to find it for nearer your £800 budget. It's easily the best 37in screen we've tested, and the one we'd recommend.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts