Newbie looking for a bit of advice.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys I currently am running a cambridge azur 640A amp through tdl kv6 speakers bi-wired and the trouble is I have a large room to fill 10foot by 28 foot and i like my music really loud and this set up is just not loud enough for me, I run some of my music through the cambridge i pod dock and the rest through the cambridge cd player...looking for suggestions to get a bit more volume................ ie speaker or amp upgrade .

thanks in advance

Murray

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Many years ago, when the world was care free (for me) and when I was still living in Switzerland, I had an 80's Marantz amplifier and huge jamo speakers. The woofers were something like 25 or 30 cm's and they had a horn loaded tweeter. I can still recall listening amongst others to jean michel jarre in a medium sized lounge in a flat shared by two american girls and two swiss boys. Everything was shaking. It was a massive sound not unlike what you hear in a club with huge impact. Hifi maybe not but probably more fun. Perhaps I'll get another pair ...

A

Anonymous

Drummerman, just back from the pub by any chance?

Original poster, I'm not familiar with your speakers, but without wanting to sound snobby, a good set of floorstanders would normally cost a lot more than what those speakers are retailing for. If the issue is that you can't turn it up further because the speakers are distorting, then you might benefit from upgrading these.

Otherwise I guess you're looking at a more powerful amp. I must say, though, that I've found the Cambridge to go plenty loud in a room of your size. Presumably you listen at the kind of volume that has small children bursting into tears and old ladies searching the sky for aircraft about to crash land?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
... but enough reminiscing. Large sensitive and dynamic speakers and lots of power are one way but good neutral valve amplifiers sound more dynamic and powerful watt for watt than many solid state products. I've heard a fatman valve amplifier, not the most powerful or best example of its kind with a tiny pair of Rega R3's. It sounded amazing and I'd say it'll fill all but very large rooms with impactfull, rich and dynamic music. Similarely, my audio innovations and ruark sabres (IB design and 25w/ch amplifiers) I used to have went loud too. Different to solid state 'loud' its more a 'live' kind of loud, very organic if you understand what I mean. Then there's the AVI ADM9 kind of loud. Low distortion/faithfull to signal loud. More accurate even though not always nicer to listen to. Not the speakers fault though. There's many a way to rome mate.

I'd say start with speakers. Something like the Rega floorstanders are sensitive and you can use amps with many hundreds of watts with them. Add a good sub and for amplifiers try an AVI integrated or one of onkyo's digital amplifiers.

A

Anonymous

Hi drummerman thanks for the advice...I think I will upgrade my speakers first can you recommend a set of rega floorstanders in the £300 to £500 range that would suit ...also how much would a half decent sub cost and what benefits does this bring to the system.

thanks

murray

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If you add a sub the Rega R3 is good. Something like an entry level velodyne or MJA should work fine.

A sub fills in the lower octaves of speakers. By doing so it adds atmosphere and solidity. Often the treble sounds better too because the overall balance is improved. Another benefit is the adjustability/versatility if you have a difficult room.

Also look at epos and sub.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
If you add a sub the Rega R3 is good. Something like an entry level velodyne or MJA should work fine.

A sub fills in the lower octaves of speakers. By doing so it adds atmosphere and solidity. Often the treble sounds better too because the overall balance is improved. Another benefit is the adjustability/versatility if you have a difficult room.

Also look at epos and sub.

Hint - Don't get overzealous with the level of the sub though! Set it to the point of it being just a little overpowering and then turn it down a bit from there until it sounds right, and then down another tiny bit to compensate for the fact some music make produce frequencys which will excite your room and will hence reduce impact.

A

Anonymous

hi guys someone has reccomended the kef iq7 speakers ...what are you opinion on these speakers, and would I need a sub with them.

murray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts