Newbie Help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi As a newbie I'm hoping all you experts can give me some advice. I have an ageing hi-fi system (made up of a Philips CD player out of the Ark, a Technics SU-VX600 amp and Mordaunt-Short 3.2 speakers) which I intend to upgrade or replace with a home cinema system. The added complication is that my music source will be CDs and a NAS device(files in WMA lossless format). The ideal solution would be a home cinema in a box that still has hi-fi quality for cd playback but would also have an ethernet connection to be able to process WMA lossless files from the NAS. Failing that should I go for a bluray player (with good CD playback quality) which can handle WMA lossless format? So far I have only found the Marantz UD5005 Bluray play which seems to fit the bill. This player supports FLAC and WMA. I have asked Marantz to confirm if the player can handle the WMA lossless format but at least if their machine supports FLAC I don't mind coverting WMA to FLAC if necessary. If bluray/home cinema systems are unable to meet these requirements are there any CD players that could be linked to a NAS to play WMA or FLAC lossless files? Many thanks for any guidance you can provide.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Separates would be a much better choice in my opinion, unless you're really pushed for space.

All in one systems won't match a comparably priced separate system, especially if you're looking for hi-fi quality audio. In fact, home cinema systems generally mean stereo performance is compromised; and unless you're spending a lot of money, you won't find a home cinema system capable of anything approaching audiophile quality stereo.

I'd decide what your priorities are. If you want your system primarily for music but to perform occasional home cinema duties, I'd stick with a stereo system. If it's the other way around, I'd still look at separates rather than an all in one system. I think you'd feel underwhelmed otherwise.

Hope that's some help...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply, I think I will keep to separates. Cheers

TRENDING THREADS