Newbie - build me a system for £1500

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking to replace my old system and since buying it in 1999 I've lost touch with hi fidelity.

I've got a pair of Rega Elya floor standers, a Marantz PM6002 (bought 2yrs ago) and a Rotel CD player.

Most of my music is via the ipod now and so I only really need to change the amp and speakers but I'd also like a good set of headphones (do I need a headphone amp).

My music collection is a real mix (heavy Metal to Classical and everything inbetween) but in terms of the hifi sound I like it has to be as natural and clean as possible without anything added apart from a tiny bit of well judged warmth. Also they need to perform well at low volume as well.

So I'm after the best amp that £400 - £500 will buy and the best set of floor standers for around the same money. The rest of the money to be spent on getting the best out of an ipod and a set of headphones for when the baby is asleep.

I'm happy to go secondhand for all the gear but don't know where to start.

Cheers

Chris

A

Anonymous

What type of audio files are you using? + Bit and rate, if not lossless.

A

Anonymous

128 I'm afraid but I can upgrade all the music I've downloaded from itunes without a problem and I can also redo the CD's I have in a higher bitrate.

A

Anonymous

Not being an expert, but personnaly would definitaly first get better bit/rates files. If possible Lossless (flac, wav, alac) if not 256kbps or more. I'm doing the same with my CD using DBpoweramp software. It's a good one but there are other good soft. I also like it since I'm ripping Flac MP3 and ALAC files at the same time to different use and hopefully be future proof. 1 rip = 3 files.

I did not heard the 6003 so it's hard for me to say. But it's suppose to be a good one so you might want to put budget on a DAC instead.

Food for thought. Meanwhile I'm sure a few of the experience mates will comment you question very soon.

Good luck

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I would try upgrading the resolution of your iPod files first, and using a digital dock / DAC such as Pure i20 http://www.pure.com/products/product.asp?Product=VL-61429. For £80 outlay you can upgrade the source to your existing hifi and maybe you will be pleased at the improvement you obtain so as to not have to splash out another £1420 on other components. But if you do decide to splash your cash, at least the source would then be at a higher quality to do the new system justice.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
First thoughts: Rega Elas, especially the earlier versions, are cult classics and I don't think you'd do better with a new floorstander for 4-500. I think you'd be surprized at the difference a good source/amp would make to your existing speakers, assuming they are in good condition.

I'd think about a used amp, 4-500 could get you something very tasty that would make those Elas really sing. Rega Elicit? Leema Pulse? Or the Sugden A21a which is as natural and clean as you could get for that money and good at low volumes as well, just don't let the baby touch it--the amp runs in pure Class A and is almost too hot to touch!

Not sure about the source, there are so many options with iPod docks/streamers/DACs etc.

I think if I wasn't going to stream the music, I'd be tempted to go for something like a Marantz 6004 CD Player (or cheap discontinued 6003) which has a digital connection for iPods.

Expensive headphones need headphone amps, so you have to decide where your priorities are there, I think I'd go for a pair of high quality "in ear monitors" that can plug direct into your iPod.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I agree with paradiziac - there are no £400/500 floorstanders that will outperform the Ela except for bass depth and all out volume - and bass isn't the strong point of an entry level floorstander. Have a look at amps that will get more from your Elas, and feed them with a slightly warmer top end that will make listening more enjoyable. Paradiziac mentions some good choices, and you can also look at Rega's Brio R too.

A

Anonymous

Sorry guys my typo has caused a little confusion. I've got a pair of Rega Alya speakers which cost £300 back in 1999. They have been great little speakers but I have no way of knowing whether they can be bettered with a new amp or by simply replacing them.

Some nice amp suggestions but being a lazy git I would prefer one remote to do as much as possible (incl ipod control) as I love great sound but I'm not a connoisseur who has the perfect set up with an armchair speakers in the exact position etc

I've also got a pair of Sennheiser HD 205 Headphones which I plug directly into the ipod but I'd like some really special closed cup headphones to use with the hifi to enjoy some top quality sound without disturbing the baby or Eastenders!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts